Chapter 18: This Just Might Work

AT THE BUNKER

"Dean?!" Sam yelled out, bursting out of the bolted doorway as he frantically waited for his brother to answer. In a second, he heard the flutter of wings twice before he reappeared on the first floor with Dean wrapped around his shoulders.

"Is he...?" The younger Winchester breathed out as Cas shook his head.

"No, just unconscious and intoxicated. I need to wake him up before he goes into a coma." He said sternly, tossing him into a cushy lounge chair as Sam pushed another one under his legs. As the angel placed a hand to the passed out mans temple, a low blue light filled his palm and suddenly he jolted awake.

"Sammy? Cas?" Dean grumbled, rubbing his head in pain as Sam scowled at him.

"Dean, we found you passed out surrounded by papers that had anything possibly to do with (y/n). Your going to drink yourself to death!" Castiel raises his voice, something he rarely did to the guy.

"You need to give her up, Dean. We all know you don't really want to kill her." Sam pleaded as Deans brows furrowed in frustration. Did he really want you dead, or was he just terrified by what you were? "Here, she wanted you to have this, I guess."

"You've seen her?" Dean barked, a hint of care in his voice as his calloused fingers wrapped around the thick cream envelope Sam pulled out of his flannel pocket. All he could do was nod before his brother turned on his heels and strode back to his room, slamming the door before sliding down the polished metal. He huffed out a long breath as he let his chest heave up and down. He ran his fingers across the ruffled paper. Scrawled in black ink was his name, a small black smudge on the 'n'. Dean quickly ripped open the top of the envelope and dumped out the contents onto the ground in front of him. Out dropped a light yellow cassette tape labelled 'deanna, dean-o, dean' and a folded letter. His brows furrowed in confusion before he hesitantly picked up the letter first.

Dear Dean,

That sounds really corny, i'll start again.

Hey, Dean-o. It's (y/n), obviously. I know things haven't been much fun at all these past few months... and it's kind of your fault but I won't hold that against you. I want you to know that I am not dangerous unless I want to be, but that was always a factor of my personality. Cas has been training me and I think I'm at his level of supernatural strength now. I feel better, healthier.

I miss you, I really do, Dean. You were there when I was about to die, but you also have kicked me around like a rag doll, and I can't stand it. This hot and cold thing makes me want to burn my brains out, and I can do that now. I guess things are different now, though.

I can't tell you where I am because.. well I still don't know whether or not you're going to try and kill me. I wish you would stay in touch after this. Maybe you will still hunt for me, or maybe we can just figure things out like this.

Have fun listening to the cassette, although no one listens to those anymore. I hope that you have a good day, don't kill yourself with this whole witch hunt of yours. Tell Sammy I said to stay safe.

(y/n).

Dean was confused to say the least. He wanted to believe that you weren't dangerous, but from everything that he had seen, angels, demons, and anything in-between has been tied to death. When you were human, at least he knew he could gank you easily. After five minutes of his eyes just scanning the page over and over again, he decided to get up, grabbing a piece of paper from inside his desk and a blue pen. Just as his hands almost hit the page, he stopped, not being able to know wha to write. All of a sudden, he just started.

(Y/n).

Its Dean. You're right. I have been trying to find you to.. anyways. I don't know how this is going to work, to be honest. I thought I could trust you but i'm not so sure anymore. You're a hunter, you know how we've been trained. I guess at least if we talk this way, I can't hurt you and you can't hurt me.

Tell me about your powers. I promise you that I won't try and hunt you, for now, if you can keep me updated. I want to make this work. I miss your smart ass comments. Can you believe? It's stupid.

I'm having Cas send this back to you. Guess he's our little messenger boy from now on.

I guess i'll talk to you soon, 

Dean.

Dean folded the paper in half and in half again. He stared at the page for minutes before he made up his mind and prayed to Castiel, who quickly appeared at the foot of his bed.

"Dean." He said, voice gravely as ever as he peered at the Winchester brother. 

"Can you give this to her? For me?" Dean said, his head hung low as he extended his hand to the man across from him. 

"Of course, but... we need to talk about this... her." Castiel said back, taking the letter and gently placing it in his jacket pocket. "What are you planning to do? I have spent much time with her, and she is very important to me. I cannot let you hurt (y/n)." 

"I-i... I don't know, Cas. I really want her back, I do.. but how can I trust her? She's a friggin hybrid!" Dean expressed, running a hand through his dusty blonde hair. 

"You trust me, Dean, and I trust her. That should be enough." 

And with that he was gone. 

-----

"Castiel, welcome home." you chirped as you sipped on a glass of whiskey, looking down at the latest Stephen King novel.

"Hello, (y/n). I have something for you.. from Dean." He said, holding out the letter to you. Your head perked up and you gingerly grabbed the paper, thanking him.

Your eyes scanned across the page and your lips curled into a frown before rising into a smile later.  He was willing to make something out of it, and you were greatful.

"This just might work, Cassy. This just might work."