Chapter 8.

A few minutes after that, Rich gave me a stack of music to start sorting out. Two minutes into sorting out All Ye Who Music Love (for the fourth year in a row), Rich yelled out:

"Hey! Mr. Co-president!"

I didn't want to look up, because I didn't want to look into his puppy dog eyes. But when he didn't talk for a solid minute, I started to get curious. Adam's a freaking social butterfly, so not responding to a greeting from Rich is very unusual. I finished the third stack of music, and finally looked up to see his face.

He just stood there, staring, his mouth slightly open, not blinking.

I had no idea how to react. I had never seen him look like that.

I certainly had never seen him look at me like that.

I let out a half-smile, as I stood up.

"Hey." I said as the rest of the officers filed in.

"Oh, um..."  he snapped out of his daze, scratching the back of his neck.

"Hey, Raegan!" Shelby, the other Co-President, snapped in front of his face when she walked in. Adam immediately snapped out of whatever kind of daze he was in. He blinked, shook his head, then turned toward her.

"Yeah?"

"Out of the way, doofus."

Adam just smiled and rolled his eyes, snapping back into his regular social butterfly, sarcastic self, and walked to the other side of the office with Shelby... But not before stealing another glance at me.

What is going on with him?

"Ok, guys!" Rich clapped to get our attention. All 8 of our heads snapped to focus on him. "Welcome backs!" Rich smiled wide as we all mumbled in agreement. Seven out of eight of us were seniors, so there was excitement in the air, but also undeniable fear.

"All right, guys, we have a list of things to do. One, we need to pass out the syllabuses to everyone, then we need to organize into section, then we need to get the freshman or new members the pre-test, and we also need to clean up the gym from freshman orientation yesterday, and set up for the first assembly next week."

"Ok, let's see...Adam and Angel?" At the sound of our names together, our eyes turned to meet each other's, then we turned to focus on Rich.

"You both got your syllabuses at band camp, right?"

"Actually Angel wasn't at band camp-"

"Um, Lea got mine for me." I clarified, as we looked at each other again awkwardly.

Oh boy.

"All right, great. You two start with cleaning out the gym. Angel, you know where everything is."

I slightly nodded, as he handed me his keys, and I walked out, with Adam behind me.

Does the world just hate me today?