Chapter VI. Lesser of two evils

Feeling the heavy burden of embarrassment, Erica rolled around and turned her back against the fading fire. How much she tried, there was no use. She could not sleep. 

My God, what had she said? Really?  This was so beyond embarrassing that it was silly. She closed her eyes and just wanted to disappear. Way to go, no filter needed. Just spew out  whatever comes to mind.

The look she'd gotten from Caspar was forever etched inside her mind. The way his eyes had dilated at first and then narrowed into dark crevices, like ' yeah , you almost got me there' . Then he'd deliberately put on the big charm. Most likely to ridicule her.  Well, that she thought anyway.

But that wasn't the problem . The problem for her was that what she'd said was true. At least for her anyway. She realized that now. Caspar was  a handsome and sexy man. Even though he was a bad guy and her captor. 

It was amazing how fast her opinion of him had changed. At first she'd thought of Caspar to be this ruthless gunman and coldhearted brute, when in fact that was Soran's features all together. Soran, with the looks of a Abercrombi model turned out to be the bad seed.

It was their talks, their conversations. And as this was turning into a week with leaps and bounds, that was the only thing Erica looked forward to. Trying once more  to get some sleep, she closed her eyes hard and did her best to block out Soran and Caspar talking on the other side of the small camp.

 ~     ~      ~ 

"Any progress?" Caspar asked Soran, observing him work on trying to repair the satellite phone. 

"No, " Soran replied short, not even looking up.

"Hmm, " Caspar mumbled to himself, a crooked grin grazing his lips. Despite their current situation, being lost and without the merchendise, he actually gloated over the fact that all of it was Soran's fault.  He was the one that dropped the gps-tracker and the phone when they jumped.

Sure, they retrieved both of them. The tracker wet and out of order, and the phone smashed to pieces, as it landed on a rock. Soran had no one to blame but himself. The crooked grin lingered as he chuckled silently.It was darn good luck really, that they landed almost on an island, with a all this vast ocean all around. But bad luck for the phone. . .  and the tracker.

Soran snapped his head up.

"What?" he growled. He was tired, pissed off in general, and the fire was going out, meaning there would be no more light. And he wanted so much to wipe that cocky grin off Caspar's face. Too bad the guy was literally twice his size.

Caspar rolled his eyes, knowing nothing good would come from him mocking Soran for what he'd done, so he cleared his throat to tell him the news.

"You know our water supply? It's no longer an issue. Today I found a pond of water when I did my  reconnaissance."

Soran stopped what he was doing. "Really? You sure?"

"I think so," Caspar said, "I'm still alive and I feel well, so the water is okay."

For the first time in days, Soran smiled. "That was good news.  The water I mean. "

"I thought so." Caspar shook his head . What an asshole.   He  added dryly,"So Erica can have her precious bath, without getting salt all over."

Soran snorted with disapproval. "Couldn't care less. Although she might need some good news before I talk to her tomorrow."

Caspar raised one of his brows. "Talk? About what?"