Chapter VII. No ifs or buts

The sun shone bright in the perfectly blue sky and a few white fluffy clouds could be seen over by the horizon. A perfect picture any other day, but not this one. The 'my way' that Caspar suggested had been effectively outvoted by Soran as he'd taken out his gun, for the hundredth time, and explained how much damage it could do if he did not get it his way.

Erica was both angry and confused as Soran kept nagging on her to recall stuff. Events. It made her head ache in the most vicious way..

What stuff? What events? Every day stuff? She shook her head slightly and looked at him, her brows furrowed. Who the hell remembers everything from every day? She didn't for sure.

"What do you mean? Can you be a little bit more specific?"

"Oh God. Give me strenght, " Soran rolled his eyes with annoyance and this time his hand wandered dangerously close to the knife that was strapped by his thigh, instead of the gun, but he didn't do anything . The look from Caspar enough to make him reconsider, "I don't wanna know what you ate for breakfast every day this last month, moron. Anything involving your boss and everything around him is helpful, " he took a small breather and mumbled some curses to himself before he added, "surely you must remember something out of the ordinary when it concerns him?"

Erica shrugged her shoulders slightly. What could that . . . ? she started to think, then out of the blue it struck her. Holy shit, could that be something? Trying to look as casual as possible, she recalled one day at the office that had been , let's us say, out of the ordinary.

Caspar raised a brow , seeing the small change in her expression. She remembered something. Something crucial? He diverted his eyes and looked at Soran. Had he seen anything? No, did not seem that way. He turned his gaze back at Erica.

Giving her an almost undetectable shake of his head , he mouthed 'no' to her. Don't tell Soran anything.

Erica saw the silent warning from Caspar , a cool gleam in his eyes that made a sudden shiver travel down her spine. If she remebered correct, what did that mean? In the far distance she could hear Soran rambling on as he paced back and forth, juggling the knife from hand to hand;

//

'There's a knock on the door and for a moment Erica looks up from the pile of work that's displayed in front of her on her desk. Opening the door, Martha peered inside and gave her a quick smile. "Mr Donovan wants to see you", she says and motions over at his office.

"Did he say what he wanted?" Erica asks.

"No," Martha tells her, " he never does."

Erica sighed deeply and stood up. She had no recollection on doing something wrong or anything, but being called into the boss's office like this did not bode well. Gathering some courage, she then steered her steps over to his room.

She knocked on the door and waited. After a second or two she could hear him call her from the inside.

"Miss Sullivan, please come in."

Turning the knob, she then makes an effort to walk as casually into his office as possible. Judging by the nonplussed stare he gave her, she was just semi successful in that, scarcely.

"Just relax miss Sullivan. Or can I say Erica?"

She nodded and looked around in the spacious office.

"Good. You can call me Nate, " he said with a well rehearsed smile as he walked around to sit down behind his desk. When folding his arms over his well-buttoned suit, the smile on his face evaporated."I have a problem."