Chapter 6

When Louis wakes up, he can hear Harry's quiet snores. He can't tell the exact time, but he knows it's pretty early. He's not exactly sleepy anymore, but he doesn't wanna wake Harry. Instead, he quietly crawls out of bed and feels around for his bag, grabbing the brochure about service dogs. He makes sure not to jostle Harry as he crawls back into bed and sits against the headboard to read.

It's not that Louis hates dogs. Really. He absolutely loves dogs and animals. He just didn't want to depend on an animal to lead him around. With his cane, he could navigate pretty much anywhere he wanted. He just wanted to be completely independent, but that wasn't possible. He was always going to need someone- no matter how much he hated the thought. He thinks back to the wreck and frowns, hands shaking slightly. He wishes he could go back in time and-

"Babe?" Harry asks quietly as he sits up, noticing Louis's tremors. "Babe, hey- Louis. Come back to me, baby."

"I'm here," Louis says softly. "Not seizing, just thinking. Sorry I worried you," he murmurs, setting the brochure off to the side. "Did you sleep okay?"

Harry begins to nod and then doesn't. "Yeah, I did," he murmurs. "Did you? What were you reading?"

"I did, yeah," Louis mumbles. "Don't worry about it, it's nothing. Just something my doctor gave me yesterday."

"You went to the doctor?" Harry frowns, stroking Louis's cheek. "Is everything okay?"

Louis nods, rubbing his eyes. "Mum was worried cause I've been having more seizures. I got a stronger prescription and a brochure f-for service dogs," he admits. "I wanted to trash it, but mum wouldn't let me."

"Why are you so opposed to a service dog, Louis?" Harry asks quietly. "Would it really be all that bad?"

"Yes," Louis says a bit sharply, then relaxes. "I'm not gonna lose my independence to a dog, okay? I just can't. I've always gotten by with just my cane and it's gonna stay that way."

Harry sighs and closes his eyes. "Okay, okay," he murmurs. "I don't want to argue with you. Wanna have a nice morning."

Louis nods slightly and rubs his face. "Okay," he says softly. "Sorry. I didn't mean to get an attitude."

"It's okay," Harry smiles softly, kissing Louis's cheek gently. "What would you like for breakfast, love? We can go get food or I can cook. It's completely up to you."

"Can we have pancakes?" Louis whispers. "I really like pancakes. They're my favorite."

"Then pancakes it is," Harry smiles softly, kissing Louis's cheek. He climbs out of bed, stretching his arms up slightly. "Would you like to come downstairs with me or stay up here? I can bring breakfast upstairs if you'd like."

Louis hums quietly as he leans against the headboard of the bed. "That sounds great, but I know I'd make a mess of the bed," He murmurs, climbing out. "I'll go downstairs with you."

The boys make their way downstairs together, Louis sitting at the table while Harry began cooking. Louis's still a little nervous being in a new environment. He's not able to roam around comfortably, and sitting in one spot makes him a bit stir crazy.

"Can we go for a walk later?" Louis asks randomly, looking in the direction where he hears Harry humming. He blushes softly. "I just- I like to walk around. It relaxes me."

"Of course we can," Harry nods, smiling a bit. "I love walking, too. I don't have any plans today, so it's fine." He puts the pancakes on plates, carrying them to the table. "What toppings would you like, love?"

"Do you have blueberries?" Louis murmurs, feeling for his fork. "Or just syrup is fine. I don't mind either way, whatever is easier for you."

Harry goes to the fridge, rummaging around a bit. "I thought I had some blueberries, but I don't. Sorry, love." He carries the syrup back to the table. "I'll get some and keep them here for you though."