Forever together

Weeks went by since Chara disappeared from the world. Frisk was walking around with Asriel at his side, heading out to go play with Monster kid. As they walked by, something caught their eye. There, at the place where he first fell, he noticed someone curled up in the flowers. The person laying on the ground wasn't moving, but from what they could see was clearly breathing. That familiar light brown hair and green shirt could only belong to one person. Chara was back. 

As Chara slowly opened his eyes, he gave a small yawn as he sat up and took a look around. "What am I doing here? You said that you could make sure that I don't come back!" he shouted out as he stared up at the sky around him. "Gaster, explain yourself right now! What am I doing here? Why didn't I disappear?" 

"Chara?" Frisk called out, trying his best to keep himself contained. Every part of his body wanted to run over to his friend and hug them. He wanted to tell Chara thank you for everything he's done and wanted to know if he was okay. "Is that really you?"

Chara turned around to look at his friends, his face revealing his mixed emotions to them. It seemed to them that Chara didn't know what was going on at the moment. As he stood up from the patch of flowers, Chara looked away from his friends, afraid to even get near them.

"Hey guys, what's up? How has your happy ending been?" Chara asked, scratching the back of his head as he avoided meeting their gaze. The last thing he wanted was to get close to either one of them and prove to himself that this is real. He was back with his family and wouldn't have to worry about the voice anymore. "Wait, Gaster! Don't you dare! ... And he's gone."

Asriel didn't bother to hesitate like Frisk did. As soon as he realized that what he was seeing was indeed real, he ran over and practically tackled Chara down in a hug, crying tears of joy as he did so. Chara only chuckled as he hugged his brother just as tightly, listening to the kind words Asriel was trying to say to him.

"It's better now that you're here. I missed you so much, Chara! Frisk missed you too! He told me about everything you guys did, and I can't tell you how much that means to me! You gave up everything for me and everyone!" Asriel took a breath before looking up at his brother once again. "I'm sorry for messing it up back then for you, Chara, but thank you for fixing me!"

Chara only shook his head no, still unable to hide the smile on his face. Frisk could tell with one look at him how happy his friend really was with them. He couldn't be any happier at this very moment than he was right now. "I'm actually glad that you did that, Asriel. If you didn't, we wouldn't be here together right now. I'd still be in a lot of trouble."

 When Chara pulled away from Asriel, he looked over at Frisk before stepping towards him. Frisk hasn't said anything to him or even hugged him this time. It was strange to see that considering how friendly Frisk was. "Hey Frisk, come on and say something... It's not every day that I come back from the dead, you know."

Frisk, in response, smiled back at his friend before saying, "It's good to see you again, Chara." Looking away from them, Frisk tried his best to wipe away the forming tears from his eyes before saying, "I thought... I thought you were gone forever!"

"I thought so too, but it looks like my determination wasn't strong enough for that." Chara stared at his friend for a second before pulling him into a hug, figuring this time he needed to do it himself. He could tell his action surprised Frisk, but didn't stop until he was sure his friend felt better about it. "I'm sorry I broke our promise, Frisk. I really am. I saw how unhappy you were without me, but I have to be honest with you. It's not a good idea for me to stick around for long."

Frisk shook his head no, unable to believe those words. "It is a good idea! Do you know how painful it was watching my best friend die without being able to stop it? Chara, I think there's a reason why you didn't go back to your old timeline, and that's because you belong here with us. Don't you see? You are meant to be here."