Chapter 1: When One Door Closes

It was cold.

Not that it was anything new to you. It was always cold. It's hard to heat yourself up when you're in a stone room in the dark.

You shivered for what felt like the millionth time. You were tired, you didn't get to sleep much. Insomnia is much worse than you'd think when you try to fall asleep hungry and cold. You wished you had a quirk. Not even something flashy enough to escape, just something enough to help you stay warm or distract you from this hell.

Tap...

Tap...

The sounds of harsh footsteps slowly filled the space around you. Just like it does when someone is taken.

Tap...

Tap...

Tap...

"I wonder which one it'll be this time." You thought to yourself. From what you could tell, there were other people trapped here with you. Sometimes through the small bars in the door you could even hear the sounds of people moving, and even voices when it was time for another small voice to be silenced. One thing you knew for sure was that whenever the footsteps came, the light of a small lantern followed.

The footsteps grew louder.

Tap...

Tap...

Tap... 

The faintest light, if you could even call it that, dusted the ceiling of your cell.

Tap...

Tap...

Tap...

You could hear the sounds of increasingly heavy breathing. Like the last desperate plea for help of someone drowning in an inky black ocean.

Tap...

Tap...

Tap... 

Even though your sense of time left you long ago you had been here long enough to know that no one was coming to save you.

Tap...

Tap...

You sigh as you wait for it to pass, just like it always does. Your cement room was unforgivingly freezing. You looked around you and took in your surroundings again. A small grey room with just enough room to stand with your arms stretched out to the sides. A metal toilet. A small slot on the back wall they slide your "food" through. Nothing else to give you comfort other than the grey uniform you wore. You read the front tag of it again as if it would be any different than last time.

"174"

It was when you were looking at the patterns of your uniform when it hit you.

You could see.

The light was still in front of your door.

The footsteps had stopped.

The harsh creaking of metal shook you from your panic. Your door opened to reveal a tall man in a skull mask, wearing a black lab coat.

"It's your finally your turn (Y/N), aren't you excited?"

Unfortunately you recognized the voice. The voice that you heard before the hall got quieter with one less inhabitant. The breathing got heavier. Out of fear you shuffled to the back of the room, afraid of everything you didn't understand. Fear snaked its way through your body, you were frozen.

The man spoke one word with such authority "Come." Without any intent on your behalf your body rose and followed him out of the cell, the sounds of erratic breathing following you. You didn't understand how you were moving, your body was shaking so much, tears streaming from your face. It wasn't until you looked into more and more empty cells illuminated with the lantern until you realized.

There was no one left in the cells.

It was only you now, walking through the lifeless halls following a man that looked like death himself, until you reached a door. Your body shaking more and more.

"Why... me?" You croaked.

You were surprised how raspy your voice sounded after such a long time without use.

Both of you paused just before he opened the door.

"Why, you ask? You are going to become much stronger than anyone the world has ever seen." He replied in the same chilling tone.

"A... hero..?" You asked.

"Ahaha, you silly boy." he laughed as he ruffled your messy (H/L) length (H/C) hair with a thin hand.

"You're going to become something this world could never fathom. Don't look so scared, you get to leave here right after." He declared as he tilted his head to look at you.

"I PROMISE."

The glowing red eyes behind his mask are the last thing that haunted you as he opens the door and you enter the bright white room.