Chapter 7: Competition

Today was the big day.

You weren't really sure what to expect from the events, unlike most students. It sounded like some sort of strategic and athletic challenge according to Midoryia.

The atmosphere among the other students was incredibly intense for a school event. As we walked into the arena, Present Mic, and by association Aizawa, announced in Midnight as the Chief Referee for the Freshmen Stage.

There was an uncomfortable silence between the students as the R-rated heroine introduced the events and beckoned Bakugou to say a few words.

"How much you want to bet he says he's going to murder everyone?"

You overheard someone scoff.

"10 bucks says he's going to scream into the mic!"

Another retorted.

"He's really not that popular outside of 1-A..." You thought.

Bakugou walked up to the microphone and after a moment declared he was going to place first.

"Not that I'm surprised but, isn't that putting a target on his back?" You thought.

Midnight declared that the first event would be a race through an obstacle course, so all the students went to the designated starting point.

Right off the bat Todoroki froze the ground and moved himself forwards with his ice. He managed to catch a lot of students, but just as many avoided it.

You didn't have enough time to charge your legs before he attacked, so you had to jump and charge midair. Fortunately, he took down some large robots ahead, unfortunately toppling them on a few students including Kirishima. To your relief, he broke his way out. It wouldn't be good if you made a friend just to have them crushed the next day.

You know that you don't have energy to place 1st this round and all the rounds after, so you decide to just use enough energy to have a comfortable lead on most people, but not be in the lead like Bakugou and Todoroki.

You used the energy in your left leg to kick off the ground, vaulting high into the air, and then the energy from the right to launch yourself over the chasm many people struggled over.

Bakugou seemed to have the same idea, but many people had creative ways around it. Iida zoomed across a rope with his quirk, and how a girl with pink hair had some sort of tech to get herself across quite efficiently.

Even though you weren't trying too hard, you were still impressed with how far ahead Todoroki and Bakugou were.

A minefield was up next. You were farther behind than you wanted to be, and you deemed now to be the perfect time to get ahead.

You charged up your legs and sprinted straight ahead into the minefield. Someone behind you stepped on a mine you dodged, and you managed to launch yourself far ahead. Unfortunately you hit a mine when you landed, slowing you down.

Just then the sounds of a massive explosion arise from behind you, and you see Izuku on a metal plate flying by you all the way past Todoroki and Bakugou. It was neck and neck for first, but Midoriya managed to score first place with Todoroki and Bakugou placing second and third.

You managed to score 17th without straining yourself too much.

Next up was a cavalry race.

Midnight showed point values for each of the ranks from the race and personally, you thought it was quite ridiculous that Midoriya was worth so many points.

Teams were being formed quite quickly. You were going to ask Yaoyorozu or Kirishima but they both had already formed teams. You could have joined Midoriya but you preferred to not have a giant target on your back.