Chapter 4: A Choice

Pain.

Something you haven't actually felt in a long time rattled your head. Your body wasn't moving like you wanted it too, you were getting sluggish.

"Kirishima, Todoroki and now... a friendly-looking moving Broccoli...? I know I'm getting tired but this is ridiculous..." you thought.

Shigaraki was yelling something at you. Or maybe at Bakugou for pinning Kurogiri. You couldn't really tell since he was too far away.

You launch fast waves of darkness from your body at your opponents. It knocked the broccoli boy back but the rest dodged it.

You quickly knock Kirishima over with an elbow to the jaw and quickly blast Todoroki with your hand. You dash towards Todoroki while dodging his ice. It was getting easier to dodge his ice each time he attacked as if he got slower and slower each time. You managed to get close enough to launch an enormous kick in the abdomen. The force caused him to double over and throw up.

"Enough force there and anyone will throw up..." you thought.

"SSSSMMASH!!"

A large amount of air pressure knocked you off your feet.

It seemed the broccoli was strong too.

You got up and turned to blast him again before a voice stopped you.

"That's enough young man." All Might declared as he started approaching.

You realized your mask was gone and that he could see your face.

He's bleeding from his chest wound and steam is releasing from him.

You don't understand how he got up.

You ready yourself to attack again but he put a single hand up making you hesitate.

He was right in front of you now. He's a lot taller than you thought, and it didn't help that you were smaller than you should be. It would have been intimidating if he was about to attack you but something about his attitude wasn't scary.

It didn't stop your legs and arms from shaking. After all you didn't have the best past of people standing over you.

He rested both his hands on your shoulders and with genuine concern looked into your glowing eyes.

"What on earth drove you to fight for their side young man?" He asked.

"What... do you mean?" You asked.

"No one is born on the side of evil. Something made you choose."

You were once again at a loss.

"I..."

The sounds of violent breathing appeared again.

"I'm.. a monster... I never had a choice."

You turned to look away from him.

"There's always a choice. I want to know how someone could have changed your mind before you went down this path."

"No! there isn't!"

"Young man, please, I want to help you."

He thinks you had a choice.

He doesn't understand.

After using your quirk for so long, you're too tired to keep your emotions in check.

"Really?

So it was my choice when my parents were killed in front of me and I was kidnapped?

It was my choice when nobody tried to save me?

It was my choice when they locked me up in a cage like a DAMN ANIMAL?!

IT WAS MY CHOICE WHEN THEY TORTURED ME FOR YEARS FOR FUN?!

IT WAS MY CHOICE WHEN THEY TORE MY BODY APART AND THREW ME BACK TOGETHER LIKE A LAB RAT?!"

Your breathing was rapidly speeding up, your body trembling, your heart racing, tears streaming from your face.

With the most compassion anyone has ever shown you, he wrapped you in his arms and pulled your frail body towards him.

"Young man, what's your name?"

"(L/N)... (L/N) (F/N)..."

"Young (L/N)... there's no way I could ever comprehend the things that happened to you. But there is still a choice. Right now. That trial appearance of yours is deceitful.

Look how strong you are. What's stopping you from leaving them and choosing your own path?"

You were shocked. After everything you had been through, you had forgotten that escape... was possible.

But still your instinct still held you as a slave to your past.

"I'm a monster they made in a lab.

No one will want to be near me.

I don't have anywhere to run to. They'll kill me if I don't listen to them...

I'm... afraid..."

"Then we'll find you somewhere to go. This world is full of heroes whose job it is to protect people. No one will hurt you. If you so choose, you can take a test to enter U.A.... to be a hero."

"A... hero?"

"Yes."

Just then, bullets shot from the entrance of USJ, piecing Shigaraki's limbs.

You could see the villains retreating into Kurogiri's warp gate.

The villains were running.

The heroes were here.

An old forgotten feeling entered its way into your heart.

Hope.