12

"Right this way sir."

It's the middle of the day. It's not rare that Nero send Sinclair for me but it is rare that he send for me in the middle of the day. What's even more rare is I'm not meeting Nero in his bedroom like usual. We are going to the royal study. It is a room at the very top of the imperial palace. After 10 staircases I feel my breath getting away with me. You would think by now Eden would have elevators but I'm sure the architects wanted to keep that old Italy feel going on.

Sinclair opens the door and I walk inside.

"Sir I've brought Santos as you asked," Sinclair says.

"Good. Santos. Come...sit."

I'm a little concerned. This was way too formal. I'm not the only one in the room. The first person I see is Coco and almost immediately I know what this is about.

Three days ago Coco asked me to have my child. In exchange she wanted the child to be named as the heir to the throne. When I told her that I'd think about it she didn't take it well. When I see Coco sitting with Nero now the first thing that I can think is that she went behind my back.

"Coco came to meet me," Nero explains, "Told me about your deal."

My heart races. Nero had not yet discovered that Justice was dead. I still hadn't told him what my father told me. I still hadn't told him that Justice was gone for good. The fact that Nero doesn't know makes this sound like some sort of plot.

Then there is Coco sitting there smiling as though she really accomplished something. I'm annoyed by her. I should have known everyone had a motive in Eden.

"I never agreed to anything."

"Well maybe it's time you agree now," Nero explains, "Because I think it would be a good idea."

I'm confused.

"What?"

Coco is sitting in the seat next to me. She is smiling. Maybe she has accomplished something after all. I'm confused as I looked at her.

"King Nero was just telling me how he would love for me to have a child for the two of you and he also agreed that the child would be the heir," Coco tells me.

Nero is looking at me as though I should be happy about this. A part of me is happy about it. I'm shocked and surprised that Nero agreed to this so quickly. I'm blown away.

"Nero...you and I aren't even married yet. Why would my child be your heir?"

"Be realistic," Nero explains, "It's only a matter of time."

"You're married to someone else."

"Not for long," Nero explains, "I'm having the marriage annulled."

Nero wasn't having a divorce. He was having the marriage annulled as though the marriage never existed. The idea of finally being rid of King Aiden was something that I think I could definitely get behind. That part excited me. The only problem with all of this was Justice.

I can't hold my feelings back. Before I know it I'm looking at the desk. There is paperwork there. An agreement. I can tell. Eden loves their agreements. As I look down at the paperwork a knot grows in my stomach.

"Isn't this what you want?" Coco explains, "I'll sign the child over to you as soon as I have it. Nero and you can raise the child. All I want is that the child be named heir."

"I can't do that to Justice."

I couldn't do this to his memory. Armando told me that Justice was dead but I saw no body. Even if he was dead it was still so fresh to be plotting to replace him. This all just seemed wrong and even though Coco is right I wanted this at one point things changed. Nero had an heir already. A long time ago I would have loved to raise a child with Nero. I would have loved to have my child take over his father's place. You don't always get what you want.