FOUR

Chapter four | drowning

"Does anyone wanna try not being completely predictable?" Derek called out to his pack, Hope leaned back against the chair, looking round uninterestingly but Boyd's surprised gasp brought her attention back to the sight of Erica slamming her lips against Derek's.

Hope struggled to tell whether the shock she was feeling was because of Erica kissing Derek of all people, or that Erica had the confidence now to actually kiss someone.

"That's the last time you do that." Derek pushed Erica away, Erica scoffed standing to her feet "Why? Because I'm a beta?"

"No, because I have someone else in mind for you." Derek replied, sharing a glance with Hope who just rolled her eyes, Erica noticed speaking up "Why doesn't Hope have to learn like the rest of us?"

"Because Hope doesn't take orders." Derek stated, Hope looked up with a smug smile crossing her arms, Isaac standing up beside her "Are we done? I got about a hundred bones that need a few hours to heal."

"Come here." Isaac stepped forward as Derek grabbed onto his arm, breaking it, Hope quickly stood up pulling Isaac back protectively "A hundred and one. You think I'm teaching you how to fight? Huh? Look at me! I'm teaching you how to survive!"

Hope was all for letting her friends learn to protect themselves, but when it came to Isaac, Hope was especially protective.

"If they wanted us dead why aren't they coming for us now? What are they waiting for?" Isaac questioned from Hope's side, the tribrid looked up waiting for Derek's answer.

"I don't know. But they're planning something. And you, especially, know that's not our only problem. Whatever that thing is that killed Isaac's father, I think it killed someone else last night. Until I find out what it is, you all need to learn everything that I know. As fast as I can teach you." The pack made their way out of the basement, Hope slowly moved towards the door as Derek turned back to face her.

"Hope." Derek began, "Are you ever going to listen to me?"

"Who says I'm not listening to you?" Hope pointed out, raising her brows "Responding to orders and paying attention are two different things, Hale."

Hope smirked as she turned on her heels, heading towards the door but Derek pushed her back against the wall, resting his arm at the side of her head. Hope let out a breath, staring Derek in the eyes as he stood closely, easily switching their positions. After being underestimated and pushed down her whole life, Hope enjoyed proving people wrong.

Hope smiled at the alpha playfully as his back hit the wall, walking out of the basement "Goodnight, Derek."

Hope smiled up at Isaac as he waited for her by her red convertible, stumbling into a gate as she made her way over to him "Not so badass now, are you?"