NINETEEN

Chapter nineteen | the mine cellar

Isaac frowned at Hope's empty space in the bed next to him, blinking awake as he scanned the room for Hope. Hope sat down next to the window, paint pots and brushes surrounding her as a small lamp lit up the page.

"Hope, its-" Isaac began tiredly, gazing over to the clock hanging on the wall  "3am. Why are you painting?"

"I couldn't sleep." Hope replied, dipping the paintbrush into the blue paint pot "May as well do something rather than staring at the ceiling."

Isaac pushed the bed sheets aside, walking across the dimly lit room to sit beside Hope.

Isaac nodded, wrapping his arm around her shoulder as he sat down, kissing the top of her head "What are you thinking about?"

"Everything, i guess." Hope mumbled with a sigh, "I just have this bad feeling. Like somethings coming, waiting in the darkness to cause chaos."

Since waking up from going to the other side, Hope's sense of danger had been on high alert, especially with Mikael and Esther's interference and Davina's warnings.

"Is this because of what we saw?" Isaac questioned, thinking back to the run ins with Hope's grandparents in the other side.

"It was, at first." Hope agreed, lifting up the painting for Isaac to see "But, not anymore."

Black and Navy blue coated the paper, a glow of neon blue circle glowing from deep inside what resembled the woods, trails of dead birds leading down to the bottom of the page.

"A creepy painting doesn't mean something bad will happen." Isaac reminded her, hugging her closer "Its a good painting though. I kinda miss you painting me, rather than some creepy demon thing."

Hope grinned, holding the painting towards him playfully "But Isaac, it looks just like you!"

"Hope, how could you say such a thing!" Isaac gasped jokingly, removing his arm from her shoulders.

Hope put the painting down, twirling her paintbrush in her hand as she looked to Isaac with a smile "Don't worry, i think you have a pretty face."

"Just pretty?" Isaac teased, Hope hummed leaning forward, painting a heart on his cheek "Gorgeous."

Isaac took a deep breath as the paint hit his cheek, laughing to himself at Hope's proud smile, lifting her over his shoulder whilst she was distracted.

"Isaac!" Hope exclaimed holding his back tightly, Isaac shook his head walking back to their bed "Back to bed, you don't have to face grumpy Hope with lack of sleep in the morning."

Hope rolled her eyes as Isaac placed her back down, moving to sit back on his side of the bed.

"I'm not grumpy." Hope argued as she lay down, breaking out into a laugh at Isaac's unimpressed glare from beside her "I can't take you seriously with paint on your face."