p a r t t h i r t e e n

The grounders raved at us as we slowly made our way through the town, getting closer and closer to that leaning tower.

I walked behind the group of horses, battered and bruised from being thrown around when we would stop and rest. The grounders cursed in my face and screamed 'murderer' in Trigedaslang over and over again, throwing things at me and calling me names. Clarke watched me, worrisome as I took the abuse with a posed brave face.

The streets were cobblestone, but I didn't realize how messed up they were. The other times I had been here, I had never paid much attention to detail. But now, with how slow our pace was, I kicked up so many loose rocks and stumbled quite a few times, causing the grounders to laugh at me.

The wind rustled through the tent cloths and made the dirt on the ground stir around. If you really looked at it, Polis was beautiful. Apart from everything being broken or makeshift, and the dirty grounders taunting me menacingly, the town had a calming landscape. And yet I knew, buried in the city were ugly and evil secrets that most didn't know about.

The screams and stamps from the grounders filled the air, it was deafening. The sound echoing for miles in every direction. I really hadn't expected this, especially the coldness from Lexa.

"FRAGA! Yu foto skaifaya gona! (Murderer! You evil star warrior)" A worn man covered in peasant rags shouted in my ear before opening his mouth and spitting a wad of collected saliva he had been working on. It hit me in the face, warm and disgusting, making my anger boil.

I used my sleeve to wipe the slimy substance off of my face before rushing towards the man. The grounder who's saddle I was tied to grabbed the rope and yanked me back, causing the man to burst out laughing.

"Strech au, scum. O ai na teik emo rip yu gon pece. (Walk, scum. Or I will let them rip you to pieces)" The grounder growled, tugging the rope again  and forcing me to walk.

"Lexa, do something." Clarke whispered to the commander, but Lexa just raised her chin and continued to walk her horse to the entrance of the tower.

We finally arrived, and Lexa hopped down from her horse, taking Clarke's hand and helping her down next. The grounder keeping me, jumped down and grabbed the rope, dragging me behind him as soldiers stationed at the foot of the tower grabbed the horses and brought them to the stable.

The rest of the villagers dispersed, either into the tower or around Polis while the grounder holding me pulled me through the doors behind Lexa and Clarke.

"Hon daun emo gon mai cain. (Take them to my room)" Lexa ordered the guard who seemed hesitant.

"Ba heda, em kamp raun de loke. (But commander, she should go to the prison)" He protested, tugging on my rope and making my wrists ache, but Lexa stared him down coldly. She grabbed my rope from his hand and tugged me over closer to her.

My wrists had started to burn from the rope a while back, and around the edges of where it was tied, I could see the beginning of my raw skin.

"Nau yu na gon oso kom mai blinka. (Now you will get out of my sight)." She ordered. The grounder bowed reluctantly before shuffling off down a hallway to the side, leaving the three of us alone.

Lexa looked at me, but to my surprise her whole demeanor changed. She looked worried, and she finally looked like she knew who I was, not just some heartless criminal.

She stared into my eyes like she was studying the contours of my face as she reached up and untied the rope, freeing my hands. I rubbed my wrists, thankful for the release. Lexa continued to look at me until she shook her head and turned around, walking down the dimly lit hallway towards the elevator.