Part 4

Darkness. Pain.
I lifted my eyes to survey the room that I dreaded and dreamed about. Though it only appeared in my nightmares.
I was still here.
Sat in bed among bed among bed, all formed in neat little rows, squishing us together like sardines. Only if you went real crazy, would you get a room all to yourself. I didn't know that would soon happen to me.
Forced to befriend the constant darkness, my eyes had morphed into night eyes. I could see things the others couldn't. I could see the things moving. In the dark.
Maybe that's what drove me mad.
Either that or the needles they were sticking into me, unleashing liquid into my bloodstream.
I stared in the dark. Even the others could read the dreaded words they imprinted onto my skin, the letters etched into my flesh.
Test Subject 189
×××××××××××××

"What did the guy mean? By 'refills'?" Peter asked. Him and Nat were sat in Starbucks, with a large view of the park and some apartment buildings. It was a nice day at least.
Nat sighed. Pete was so naive.
"Drugs, Peter. That man was a drug dealer. She'll go along for refills," Nat explained. Peter made a small 'ah' in realization. Then his forehead creased again.
"But she didn't look like a druggie," Peter insisted. Nat agreed.
It was all very strange.
Though what was usual in the world?
"So, what do you think her story is?" Nat grinned curiously, sipping her black coffee. She'd gone for a more sophisticated drink, rather than Peter who'd gone for hot chocolate with marshmallows and sprinkles in the middle of Summer.
"Uh. No family. Maybe a sibling but I doubt it. She seems a loner. Though it's bloody hard to tell from just security footage. Once we know her name, we can look into her background," he said. Nat nodded.
"What do -"
She was cut off, by Peter gasping quietly.
"Wait, Nat, look!" He pointed at one of the apartment building windows. Nat looked and saw it was the girl, clutching her bow, aiming in down at the park.
"What's she doing?" Nat asked bemused. Then she gripped her drink.
"Pete, she's aiming at the people! She's trying to hit them!" she exclaimed. Peter held her arm.
"She's not! Look, she's aiming at the birds. To hit the people, her bow would have to be bent a little left, unless she was a beginner and somehow I don't get that impression," Peter explained. Nat sat back and nodded.
"Ah," She said quietly. She leaned forward again.
"But that bird is like a mile away! Theres no bloody chance she'll hit that," Nat declared. Peter grinned.
"I dunno. She looks kinda... Professional," He said. They both watched intently, as the girl pulled back her arrow and Peter could see she was biting her lip.
Then she released, and the arrow soared through the sky.... Hitting the bird perfectly.
Peter grinned and sat back.
" Well fuck me, " Nat breathed.
"Steve will get you for that," Peter laughed.
"Well fuck him."
***

They both decided to wait till nightfall to find the girl at the drug dealer's.
Night soon fell, and as Peter and Nat walked to the address, the only light guiding them was the flickering orange glow of the streetlamps, illuminating the puddles on the sidewalks.
At last, they got there and they stood by a nearby bus stop, which gave them a view of the building entrance. While they waited, Nat called Tony and gave him an update. Including the stuff they saw at Starbucks. He was impressed, she could tell, but of course he hid it with a sarcastic comment.
Minutes ticked by, and Peter began getting cramp.
Then, suddenly, he saw her, cautiously exiting the building. On one shoulder, her bow was strapped and on the other, she'd slumped a bulging black backpack.
She looked both ways and stepped across the street.
Nat and Peter watched and began walking towards her. She sped up.
"Excuse me, Miss?" Nat approached lightly. The girl turned around, saw them and suddenly ran, hurling down the street.
"Oh crap," Nat groaned, and her and Peter tailed her, keeping her in sight.
They ran down an alleyway, through darkened streets and, hearts pounding, they nearly caught up.
"Web her!" Nat called impatiently, and Peter shot a Web out, pinning the girl to an alleyway wall.
It was just the three of them.
"Hi, my name's Nat. This dickhead is Peter." Nat said gently. The girl squirmed, then she locked eyes with a large dustbin. The dustbin suddenly jerked and crashed into Nat, knocking her over.
"Please, we just want to help you" Pete called. "You helped our friend. We need to return the favour."
The girl stopped.
She paused.
"Okay. Please unstick me," She requested. And Peter got her out. She shook herself down and tried to help Nat up.
"Wha- what was that you just did? With the dustbin?" Nat breathed heavily.
"I-I'll talk later," the girl stammered.
Peter smiled. This girl seemed cool. If a bit violent. But that was fine. He could work with that.
He looked her up and down, and caught sight of something tattooed on her arm.
"What's that?" he asked. The girl stepped back and shook her head. But he got closer and stared at it.
Test Subject 189
He stared at Nat and she gave him a look.
What were they getting into?