Chapter 1: The Appearance of One

"(Y/N), we need you back in here!" One of my coworkers yells at me, snapping me out of my trance. Shit...the real world. The one where I'm sitting on the small staircase behind the diner, a small light flickering behind me. My cigarette is still between my lips as I breathe in its sweet yet toxic smoke.

"Okay, I'm coming!" I say with a sharp exhale. Dropping the cigarette on the step below me, I crush the embers beneath my foot. Standing up and straightening out my unrealistically short yellow dress, I brush off any ash from the apron attached to it. I walk back into the dining area to see no customers but a lot of dishes left in the sink.

"Your turn to close up tonight." John, the same coworker who yelled at me before, says to me.

 A small smirk is plastered on his face, knowing that he gets a few more hours of sleep before his next shift. He leaves before I can protest and leaves me to do all the dishes. I groan softly, grabbing one of the beat-up rubber gloves before getting to work. That's when the scene of apple pie and cheap perfume wafts by me and another set of hands aids in the great adventure that is the pile.

"You don't think I would leave you here alone do you?" Amy says. I roll my eyes playfully at her before turning back to the dishes.

"I'm a big girl now, Amy," 

"If you were you would move out of that dingy hotel and live with me."

"Amy, you know I can't do that. Just because you practically raised me doesn't mean it's still not safe for us to live together. There are just too many secrets that need to stay unspoken."

"How do you know that? Maybe if you just gave me a chance-"

"Can we please just drop it?" A pleading look comes upon my face before I could stop it. She nods at me and continues to do her dishes as I do mine. We crack jokes for the next hour before we are finally done. Before I lock up, Amy hands me a box marked Xander.

"Xander doesn't need any of these coursebooks anymore," she says.

"I'm sixteen Amy, I don't think I can learn anything more." I joke. Amy laughs and shakes her head in mock disappointment.

"You can never stop learning, honey. This world will always surprise you." I give Amy a hug and grab the box while giving her the keys to lock up. Before I can walk out of earshot Amy yells;

"I want at least five pages done by tomorrow, (Y/N)!" 

Not wanting to strain my voice, I shoot my hand up in the air and give her a thumbs up. 

______________________________

I walk into my small room in the hotel, throwing the heavy books on my bed. With a sigh, I drop my hair out of the tight bun and begin to cook what will be my fourth serving of ramen today. With the flimsy container in hand, I sit on my bed and open the box Amy gave me. I pull out the book on the top of the pile and examine it. Math... great. Reading through its instructions and completing the worksheets, time seems to be at a standstill. As I reach for another bite of what is now cold ramen, my vision blurs. My head feels too heavy to carry and my eyes shut. 

It feels like I wake up but not really. Everything is foggy and confusing. I'm running but I don't feel the adrenaline. I'm panicking but I don't feel the pain. It dawns on me that what is happening in front of me is not me... It's Eleven.

She's running through the woods, obviously terrified, but I am puzzled as to what she is terrified by. I begin to panic my own self because I can't help her, I can't save her. I can't wrap her in my arms and rock her small body back and forth and tell her that everything is okay. Unfortunately, I still feel how frantic she is. Suddenly, three streams of light come towards Eleven and she freezes. Instead of Brenner, three young boys walk cautiously towards her. Their faces are full of confusion and fear but they don't scream. Instead, they help her onto one of their bikes.

I wake up screaming from the dream, sweat dripping down my face. Without a thought, I instantly start packing, His plan playing like a broken record in my head from years past. On go my jeans and long sleeve shirt, layering a checkered loose jacket over it to protect me from the chilly October air. Only packing a few things into my beat-up backpack, I quickly run out of the room. 

Running a short few houses away from the diner, I find the decrepit door and throw my fist against it frantically. Amy answers it grumpily but once she sees me her mood instantly changes.

"(Y/N), what's the matter?" Amy asks, concern etched across her features.

"I don't have time to explain but I need to borrow your car," I say.

"Why do you need my car?" 

"Because I just had a vision that my little sister is in danger and I need to get to her!" I say, tears now dripping down my face. Amy walks back into her home and hands me her keys once she returns.  I drop my backpack on the ground and find the wad of money in the front pocket. I hand it to her but she holds her hand up.

"Keep it, honey. You're going to need it." I smile gratefully at her, stepping towards her for a hug. Once we part from each other, I jump into her car and start it up. Before I drive away from this town forever, I stop back at my hotel room and grab my books from the bed. It's the least I could do for Amy.