Chapter 2: The Appearance on Maple Street

It's the next night when I finally arrive in Hawkins, Indiana.  The closer I get to the town, the stronger I feel His presence. As I pass the sign, I realize that I have no plan whatsoever to find Eleven. I only have the vision from her and even then, I can barely remember it now. She could be miles away from that forest but it's worth a shot to investigate the small town first. I drive by a familiar street upon the small highway and my hands along with my arms begin to shake violently. A memory hits me full force as his seething hum fills me. I remember the day I met Eleven. 

Papa finally let me back into my room after forcing me to open something I never wanted to be discovered. I didn't want to, so many people have already been hurt. But if I didn't he would hurt me even more than he already has.

"Ahh, there she is. My number one." Papa says as he enters my small room. I turn around, my small body shivering as he comes closer. 

"I brought another sister for you. Her name is Eleven. She's still very small so it's your job to take care of her, okay?" I slowly nod. 

A guard carries in a small girl, only about two years old. Is she going to try and kill me as well? They place her down on the floor and she immediately finds the nearest corner, hiding in it. 

"Make her feel at home, okay One?" he says, opening the door to our room cautiously.

"Yes, Papa," I whisper. Once he finally leaves, I just stare at the girl in the corner. I feel an immense pity for her and my heart keeps telling me to comfort her. 

My heart eventually wins me over and I move towards the girl a little more. She notices this and whips her head in my direction, staring at me intensely.  I move closer once more but she backs herself even further into her corner.

"I'm not going to hurt you," I say. In response, she pushes her head in between her legs and rocks back and forth. Quickly focusing on the plush that sits on my bed, I float it over to her.

"Don't cry. Look, you can have my favourite stuffie!" I coax, desperately trying to please her. She looks up slightly and sees the plush, hesitating before grabbing the tiger and squeezing it tightly. Then, she looks over to me and slowly pulls herself away from the corner. Suddenly, she runs over and wraps me in a giant hug.

"Thank you," she whispers.

Quickly pulling the car over, I touch my face to feel the wetness of tears threatening to stain my cheeks. With a shaky breath, my tears are wiped away with the use of my sleeve. Looking out my window at the forest surrounding me, bits and pieces of my vision return with force. She was here...

Exiting my car, I dip under the police barriers and into the wood. I remember these woods so clearly. As I cross over a spot where a dead tree lay, I remember my fragile self making her own escape. That's when a feeling from long ago runs through my body like a mustang being whipped. 

"Welcome home...child." 

I see a figure in the dark, a clicking noise emitting from it. A Demogorgon. Before I can follow it, a scream echoes through the woods. I take off towards the sound, hoping that not more than one had already escaped the upside down. Locating the cause was easy, just a bunch of drunk teenagers hanging out by the pool. Irritated, I storm off but before I get too far, the same figure that I saw before races towards the scene. I hide behind a nearby tree and spy on what I thought was a Demogorgon, only to realize it was a human. He stops and scoffs a little, crouching on his stomach with a camera in hand.

The pool light illuminates his face, giving me a clear look at him. The boy has a thin build and a shy demeanour. His face is sunken in like he hasn't had sleep in days. Whenever his eyes pop up from his camera, their striking brown competes with his chocolate hair. 

I recognize the hungry voices rushing through my head, surrounding me, calling out as they do to Him. He's sent one into the real world, and it's closer than I thought. My eyes flutter closed and with a deep breath, I call out. Its vision is placed in mine, but all I can feel is hunger.

"Will!" 

It was an easy kill, something all Demogorgon's have in common. 

"Leave her alone!" I let slip from my mind. 

It's attention switches from the woman to me in a matter of seconds. Before I can command it any longer, a sharp pain, like that of a blade, pierces through my skull, forcing my eyes open. Panting heavily, I feel the Demogorgon's presence getting closer. It's coming for those teens, a bigger meal than one woman. On my way to try and disperse the immature idiots, I accidentally trip over the boy on the ground, startling him. He turns and looks at me as I lay on the ground to his left.

"Who are you?! And what are you doing out here?!" he whisper screams. I don't answer him and look back at the party. All of the teenagers have left except for one who is holding her hand, blood seeping through the bandage on it. The boy shakes me to get my attention.

"Can you please answer me!" he whispers. I panic as I feel the Demogorgon only getting closer, narrowing in on its prey. 

Without a word to the boy, I jump out of my hiding place and rush towards the girl. I barely make it when I hear its war cry, its anguish for blood.

The Demogorgon emerges from the fence behind the pool just in time as I plant myself in front of it. Its screams mix with the girl's behind me. Focusing on its chest, I lift my hands, pinning it to the fence in midair.

"Shut up!" I scream out loud and the creature instantly listens. While keeping my hold on the monster with one hand, I walk closer to it, it's horrific smell not bothering me. I get face to face with it as it lowers its flaps in submission.

"Leave," I whisper menacingly. It listens and disappears in a cloud of ash before I turn back to the two teens. 

"If I hear one word about this," I say quietly. "You're both dead." The girl nods frantically and runs away from the house. The boy on the other hand stays and looks at me in awe.

"Did you take any pictures of that?" I ask.

"I don't think I could even move my finger. How did you do that?" he asks out of curiosity. I chuckle a little and walk closer to him.

"Do you believe in magic?" I ask.

"I believe in a lot of different things." he deflects.

"Let's just say that I'm made of magic," I say before turning back to the forest and running into its darkness. I don't get fair when the adrenaline fades and the exhaustion hits me. My body subconsciously lays against the tree as my vision blurs into nothing. I started to stumble around, determined to make it back to my car for a rest. Slowly, my legs give out from under me and my body hurtles towards the ground. Instead of being greeted by the cold forest floor, I was caught by a warm pair of arms. Exhaustion overwhelms me, and my eyes are locked closed.