Chapter 5: The Ant and the Soldier - Part 1

Jonathan and I finally make it home after spending what felt like forever in the red room. I get out of the car and notice another car parked in the driveway. I don't recognize it but Jonathan does since he practically runs into the house with me following close behind him. Suddenly he stops in front of the door like he's frozen in time. I close the door behind me and peek over Jonathan's shoulder to see Joyce wrapped in a blanket sitting on the couch. She's beside a man that oddly looks a lot like Jonathan.

"Hey, kid." the man says.

"What's going on?" Jonathan asks.

"Your dad's, umm, going to stay here tonight. On the couch." Joyce says as she shifts on the couch, obviously uncomfortable by the situation. I look at the mat from behind Jonathan and he spots me glaring at him. He laughs and points at me, beer bottle in hand.

"Aren't you going to introduce me to your girlfriend there?" he teases. I see Jonathan's cheeks light up, his eyebrow's furrow.

"She's not my girlfriend!" Jonathan snaps, sending pain through my chest. Why does that keep happening?

"I'm just a friend from out of town." I jump in.

"What's your name?" Jonathan's dad asks.

"What's it to you?." I spit.

"Well you can call me Lonnie," he says, glaring at me and I return the gesture. The tension builds in the room until Lonnie turns to Jonathan.

"How are you holding up?" he asks. Jonathan just shakes his head and walks across the room. Part of the wall is covered by a tarp and Jonathan lifts it, only to be greeted by a large hole in the wall.

"What happened?" Jonathan asks, turning around to face his mother. Before Joyce can answer, Lonnie cuts in saying:

"Don't worry about that." 

Jonathan ignores him and keeps on insisting that Joyce tell him the truth, asking if the monster came back. Lonnie becomes irritated and tells Jonathan to stop, resulting in both of them leaving to talk privately. Once they leave, I sit on the couch beside Joyce and hold her in my arms as she shivers. I just sit there and comfort her until Lonnie comes back into the living room. 

"Go be with Jonathan, he needs you right now. I'll take care of Joyce." Lonnie whispers.

I eye him suspiciously, not sure whether to trust him or not. Finally, I let go of Joyce and walk into Jonathan's room. He's sitting on his bed, staring at the wall. It's almost like he's not human anymore, his movement non-existent. I sit beside him and focus on the emptiness, the quiet. Peace grants me a calm mind, a calm moment. I feel Jonathan's hand move across to mine and his fingers intertwine with mine. I slowly tilt my head to our hands, staring at them. I feel Jonathan's other hand lift my chin up slowly, forcing me to look at him. Our eyes meet, his whiskey brown to my (Y/E/C). I lean my forehead against his, closing my eyes. I take a deep breath and sigh in contentment. 

"Thank you," I whisper. Jonathan places his other hand on my cheek, his thumb tracing small circles.

"For what?" Jonathan whispers back.

"For believing in me," I say, opening my eyes the tiniest bit.

"There's no need to thank me. I should be thanking you." Jonathan remarks. 

"Why?" I whisper and I pull away from our embrace the slightest bit.

"For helping me. I'm with you one hundred percent now." Jonathan promises. Our eyes meet and my heart begins to race. The unusual feeling scares me so I pull away and get off the bed.