Chapter 5: The Ant and the Soldier Part 2

Disclaimer: Not all the dialogue shown in this chapter is mine but is owned by the Duffer Brothers. Hope you all enjoy this chapter and please read the author's note at the end!

Once I had returned to the Byers' home, I immediately changed out of Joyce's hand me downs and back into my clothes before venturing into the woods. I see no sign of Eleven at all but that doesn't stop me from screaming her name. My voice echoes in the emptiness and I sigh out of desperation.  I continue to scream out Eleven's name even though I know it's pointless. Suddenly, my screams are interrupted by a gun firing. I crouch behind a fallen tree and wait for the sound to return. Soon enough it does, so I begin to advance towards it, my knife in hand. After a few more shots, I emerge from the woods to find a irritated Jonathan trying his best to shoot a gun. Three cans are set up on three stumps as shooting targets. He fires once more, aiming for a can that is on a stump and misses his target by a long shot. He groans in frustration and I laugh while shaking my head, returning the knife to my pocket. Before he takes another shot, I walk towards Jonathan and yell his name.  He turns to me, obviously spooked, and aims the gun to the floor.

"Your lucky I didn't shoot you." Jonathan states.

"Even if you did shoot, I'm pretty sure you'd miss me." I tease. Jonathan shakes his head in annoyance and goes to shoot again. He fires and the bullet grazes the can, causing it to shift the tiniest bit. Jonathan smiles at his improvement but instead of firing again, he gives the gun to me. I can tell that the gun is void of bullets so I walk behind the targets to where the bullets are and begin to reload it. Jonathan follows me and a moment of silence dawns upon us. Before I finish reloading the gun, Jonathan asks:

"Was that you yelling in the woods?" I look to the ground, a sudden sadness filling me.

"Yeah. It was." I reply. Jonathan notices my sadness and offers me his hand. I stand up with his help and try my best to hold back tears. 

"Was it your sister?" Jonathan asks solemnly. A tear escapes my eye as I feel even more desperate to find her. I wipe the tear away and nod quickly. Jonathan goes to hug me but I dodge his attempt and cock the gun. I walk back in front of the target and Jonathan follows me. Once he is behind me I aim the gun at the left beer can and fire. Then I am at the middle beer can and finally the last beer can, firing at each. I lower the gun to see that all of the cans have disappeared from their logs. 

"Is that the first time you've fired a gun?" he asks. I chuckle and shake my head as I turn towards him. "You know, the first time I ever shot a gun was on my tenth birthday. My dad decided to take me hunting and he made me shoot a rabbit. I cried for a week."

"That's horrible." I reply.

"What about you? When was the first time you ever fired a gun?" Jonathan asks. I want to explain my story to him but it's terrifying for me to think about it. A few minutes pass before I speak up.

"I was only nine years old at the time. At that point I hadn't met Amy and I was all on my own. In the time I had escaped, I thought myself how to use a gun. I would practice on trees, abandoned cars, anything that wouldn't bring any attention. One day, I was hunting in the woods at night when multiple lights began to stream through the forest. The labs had found me. One of the guards got to close and I fired my gun. He fell dead at my feet and I ran." I explain, trying my best to not break down in tears. Jonathan looks at me and his eyes are full of pity.

"I guess my story isn't as traumatizing as yours." he jokes.

"Doesn't matter the trauma. It's how you feel that connects us." I comfort.

"Why do you keep shooting if it hurts you so much?" Jonathan asks.

"Because I have a feeling that once I find Eleven, I'll be killing a lot more people." I say glumly. I hand him the gun and he reluctantly continues to practice. As I watch him miss time after time, he suddenly stops and asks me: