Chapter 3: Jolly, Holly

My eyes slowly flutter open, slowly adjusting to the brightness that fills the room. I look around, noticing a few posters across the walls. A large radio lays to the right of me and I smile, remembering the one Amy used to bring to work when it was slow. I sit up and notice that I'm still in my clothes but they are all bloody. I shrug off my oversized jacket and see my shirt perfectly intact. I touch my upper lip and I feel the dried blood under my nose. Like an avalanche, the scene of last night plays in my mind. I'm not safe hee

The door opens and an older woman enters, an uncanny resemblance to the boy from last night apparent. I instantly tense up and jump out of the bed, afraid of what she is going to do to me. Her tired eyes widen when she realizes my fear.

"It's okay, sweetheart. I'm not going to hurt you." She says. I look at her skeptically, slowly reaching to my back pocket.

"My name is Joyce. What's your name?" She asks as she sticks her hand out. I quicken my pace to my pocket and find that my knife has been removed from me. The door opens once again and the boy from the woods enters the room.

"Mom, you scaring her," he says, urgency in his voice.

"I was just trying to be polite, Jonathan!" Joyce says, her voice slightly raised.

"Stop talking about me like I'm not right here," I say, my voice completely monotone. The boy looks at me quickly and then turns back to his mom. She eventually leaves, leaving us alone in the cramped room. Jonathan picks the clothes off the bed and hands them to me.

"These should be your size if you want to change," he mumbles, obviously embarrassed by the situation. In the neat pile is a long sleeve green shirt that dips into a small v-neck and is laced loosely together by a green string. A pair of dark jeans and a skinny belt are added to the outfit. Jonathan drops the outfit in front of me and looks away.

"You can use the bathroom to wash up a little. There is breakfast if you're hungry." Jonathan says. He turns to walk out, just wanting to escape the situation.

"Jonathan?" I say. He turns away from his path and looks at me. I'm surprised at the lack of fear in his eyes.

"When you saw what happened, what I did in the woods... why weren't you scared?" 

"I'll tell you if give me your name."

"Which one?"

He looks at me confused and his eyes lead him down to where I'm rubbing my left arm.

"Whichever one makes you more comfortable," he answers.

"My name is (Y/N). Now, why weren't you afraid?" I push. The air in the room becomes tense when Jonathan doesn't answer.

"You were saving us, not killing us. I'm not scared of someone who saves my life." Jonathan finally answers. The tension leaves as well as Jonathan, leaving me alone to get dressed. I strip out of my bloodied clothes and pull on the clean ones. Tucking the green shirt into my pants and securing it with the belt, I catch my reflection in the dirty mirror. For once, I look normal.

Next was the bathroom, which I easily slipped into without anyone noticing. I turn on the sink to wash my face, scrubbing at the blood on my lip. Once I'm done, I pull up my left sleeve and stare at the tattoo on my wrist. My number, 001, permanently imprinted in my skin. A constant reminder of the real me, the unnatural occurrence of nature. A tear drops on the mark and I quickly wipe it away as well as my face. I pull the sleeve down and tightly grip onto it with my left hand.

I venture out into the kitchen to see Joyce cooking over the stove, Jonathan nowhere to be seen.

"Where's Jonathan?" I ask. Joyce turns to me and smiles.