detention

Alicia

"To start the class off, when Socrates says "To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge," what does he mean?" I didn't see anyone raise their hands, so the teacher explained what Socrates meant. As she explained, I stared at Emma's side of her face. I think Emma caught me staring because she started to whisper to me.

"Why are you staring at me?" Emma asked in a whispering voice. I didn't directly because I was afraid what Emma would respond. I hesitated to shake my head.

"Are you girls even paying attention!?' The teacher shouted in front of the class, directing the attention towards me and Emma. We both nodded our heads, but the teacher not believing us.

"You two, to the office. Now!" Me and Emma immediately got up and walked in the empty and quiet hallways to the office.

"Why the hell did you get me in trouble. I almost never do!" I told Emma in a serious tone.

"Gee. Chill. You looked like one of those good girls. I decided for you to have a little fun." Emma said while dancing a little. "Plus, when did you get in trouble since you had the world almost never?"

I rolled my eyes at the question Emma asked. "Everyone gets in trouble at least once. And the one time I got in trouble, or should I say the third." Emma interrupted.

"Damn girl! Got in trouble three times. Not as innocent as I thought."

"As I was saying, I just skipped some classes. That's all. Not a biggie. It's because I already know the stuff the teachers teach. It's easy." I replied. We arrived at the office, standing near the desk where the two office ladies were.

"Why are you guys here?" One lady asked as she stared at a file of papers.

"Of, our English 101 teacher sent us here." Emma answered for me. The lady just nodded.

"Ok, just go to the principal's office. Sit in the chairs. He'll be waiting." I obeyed and so did Emma since she had no choice. Me and Emma arrived to the office, sitting on the two aeron chairs. While waiting, Emma spun round and round in the chair while I just fiddled with the spinning mechanism. When we heard the click of the doorknob, we both stopped fiddling and faced our bodies to the principal's desk.

"Well, well, well, look who we have here." He said as he walked to his desk. He sat down, took a folder to check out our names and pictures to match our identities. "Alicia Woodstock and... Emma Synnott. By the way, welcome to Westside High."

"Yeah. Whatever fat ass." Emma muttered to herself.

"What did you call me Miss. Synnott?" Emma straightened up in confidence.

"I called you a fat. Ass. Did you get it?" The principal stood up with total anger, while Emma, sitting down, chewing her gum back from English 101, examining her nails with no care about her unpleasant words. 

"You're getting detention. And so are you Miss. Woodstock." He pointed to me.

"But I didn't do-" and got interrupted by the principal.

"I don't care. You're having." He barked. My voice in defeat, nodded. "Now, off children."

Me and Emma walked back to English 101, with barely an hour left of English 101 left.

"You got in me detention!" I shouted in a whisper to Emma.

"So? You've gotten in trouble." 

"But never in..." I stared and whispered, "detention!" She stared back in shock.

"Damn girl. You've got a box of surprises. I swear to fucking god."

"Thanks a lot." I spoke to her in an angry tone. I felt a verge of tears going out, but stopped myself. I could tell my eyes were red, but didn't care. 3 minutes after me and Emma walked to class, we directed ourselves to our seats. The class stared at our entrance and I felt a bit uncomfortable, but dealt.

As time passed by exchanged glances by me and Emma, class was over. I almost left to the doorway before Emma stopped me. 

"You gotta tell your parents. I bet you're gonna get in so much trouble. Since you probably are the angel in the family." Emma told me.

I had to explain to her. "My parents died actually. My mom died while giving birth to me and my dad died of an automobile accident last year. Also, my only brother moved on to college, and haven't heard from him since." Emma's eyes showed a glint of sympathy. She wrapped her arms around me.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't know." I pushed myself away from the embrace. "It's fine."

"Come on. Anyway, you still have detention." Still pissed at Emma, had to follow the rule before getting into more trouble. We arrived to the class with the troubled students of the day. I surfed  around the classroom with my eyes in search of students, only to see a group of 4 horny freshmen boys.

"Look at those girls." One boy whispered to his buddy. He then whistled. I rolled my eyes at the naive boys. All they could've know, we were serial killers disguised as innocent girls, though we weren't. Surprisingly, there were no teachers to supervise our group of adolescents. 

When Emma heard them chattering in a loud volume, probably about us, she shouted something to them across the class.

"Go fuck yourselves pervs!" Emma got her hair tie, and flung it to one of the boys in his face.

"Ow." He spoke in pain. He stuck the finger at Emma with one hand and the other covering one of his eye. "Fuck. You."

"Thanks." Emma took the comment and sat back down. "Boys." I looked at her and nodded.

"Yeah."