prologue; journey

XIAO ZI STARED OFF INTO the horizon from the docks, wind beating against her fair skin

XIAO ZI STARED OFF INTO the horizon from the docks, wind beating against her fair skin. The sky above was engulfed by spirals of ugly grey clouds and her ears capturing the rhythmic pounds of the waves agains't the Precious Jade, the largest vessel in all of China.

"Crown Princess, the rest of the servants have already packed your luggage into your cabin. But we were informed that you and the 2nd Princess would share a room, seeing as there is only one cabin available for you both."

Her face was hard for the servant to read since the Crown Princess always had a stone cold expression. "My sister will not be please by this, and it's to early for me to tolerate any of her tantrums,"

The servant gave a slight bow before the crown princess.

"I also trust you can deliver the freshest tangerines to Lei for his birthday that is nearing."

The humbled servant lifted the ends of her dress bowing before the crown princess, before taking her leave.

A gust of damp air hit the princesses, ripping off the hood of their fur cloaks. Dai Jing muttered a number of swears seeing as this has kept happening a number of time.

"I cant believe I was ordered to leave the comfort of my home to stand in the cold, when these IMBECILES haven't even properly set the sail on the mass. And where is Zhenkai, ugh how useless the lot of you!" The second princess angrily ranted as crew of the Precious Jade avoided her gaze. She paced back and forth the dock fuming with anger.

When the second princess tried to board the vessel she was quickly refused to get on. She was informed that the emperor strictly forbade the princesses to step foot on the ship if they were without their escort. Unfortunately for them their escort Zhenkai, the son of minister of war and their best friend, was already busy with the arrangements for their voyage to the Silla Kingdome. Xiao Zi thought it was a real shame that her father dumped his responsibilities on her friend.

"Sister," Xiao Zi called out nonchalantly. "do calm down, Zhenkai should be here any moment so be patient."

Dai Jing watched her sister stare off into the distance, with a familiar soft spoken expression. "What's wrong with you?"

Just as Xiao Zi predicted the boy came running on to the dock. She noticed Zhenkai's attire was much different than the last time they saw each other. He was well groomed, dispite the messy bangs from beneath his bandana, and he wore a well seemed dark blue robe that subtlety represented his noble rank.

"My dearest apologies princes-"

Dai Jing cut him off, "I stood in the cold with my makeup damn near ruined, while you ran up and down the palace like a headless chicken, you're lucky I haven't impaled you with your own sword!"

ZhenKai hid the holster of his sword behind his robe not sure if the second princess would dare to go through the threat. Before he could explain himself the fuming princess turned on her heel, whipping him in the face with silky jet black hair.