Exhausted

Angel’s POV

I catch up with Rebel in no time. My long stride catching up with his short one. When I do I secretly slip the money in his coat pocket not his pants because he’s wearing skinnies and my reverse sticky fingers aren’t that skilled. “That was weird. I’ve never seen a jock pay someone to do his homework. Normally they scares them into it.” I say once it’s in his pocket. Once he notice me he smiles. “He would never beat me up. He the only one to protect me.” Rebel tells me. I raise an eyebrow. “So in this school the jocks like Drew are actually nice? What is this a parallel universe? What are the nerds the bullies?” I ask. He laughs and shakes his head. “No the ‘nerds’ aren’t the bullies. The ‘jocks’ still pick on people, but it’s hardly ever physical. Drew makes sure of that. By the way he is the lead ‘jock’ of the school. What he says is almost like the law, but people still listen to teachers and other superiors too. The only person you have to watch out for is. . . Wes.” With that he points out a tall dude surrounded by girls. “He’s the only one who will get physical in the bullying. He’s also learned to be sneaky so he doesn’t get caught by Drew or anyone else. The only one’s to know he get physical are his victims.” Rebels says. I try to take in everything. “Okay I have loads of questions now.” I tell him. He chuckles a little. “Go ahead. I am your guide.” He tells me. “Okay. If only victims know of his bullying then, how do you know of it?” I ask him. His smile doesn’t waver, but his eyes do. “Because I was one of his victims.” He says. 

Before I can ask about the ‘was’ he greets some teachers and pulls out more papers from his binder. They thank him and we move again. “What was that?” I ask. “I help the teacher with things like worksheets, grading, and so on.” He tells me. Wow. I know who I’m gonna have tutor me. “Now, why did you say ‘was’? Does that mean he stopped bullying you?” I ask him. “Yes. Drew put a stop to it when he saw the bruises.” He says his smile never falling. The only thing that wavers is the look in his eyes. He’s one of those people who smile through the pain, eh. “That brings me to my next question. Why does Drew protect you? Is he you boyfriend?” I ask dreading what the answer will be. Why else would he be so kind Rebel? Rebel starts laughing. I smile not knowing what I said that was so funny. Once Rebel stop laughing he says, “No! Drew and I are not a couple! I’m pretty sure that is frowned upon in most cultures.” He tells me. “What? Why?” I ask even more confused. “I think that would be incest.” He tells me. Incest? “What’s that?” I ask, because I’ll admit it I’m an idiot. My highest grade is a B- on the edge of being a C+. “Incest. To have sexual relations with someone of close relation. Like with a parent, child, or sibling. In Drew’s and my case, siblings.” My mouth drops. “Wait! Drew is your brother?!” I ask shocked. “Yeah. His name is Andrew Scott and mine is Rebel Scott.” Rebel says just as we arrive to Science and putting an end to our game of 20 questions.

The day was now finally over. I was exhausted. This school is more high end than my last one. I see Rebel getting ready to walk out. I shut my locker and catch up to him. “Hey, Rebel! You walking home are your parents coming to get you?” He smiles. “No they’re busy. I’m walking home.” He says. I notice that something hidden flashes in his eyes. Is he lying?  “Is it alright if I walk with you? My house is only three blocks from yours.” I ask and he nods. We start walking. “So how much homework do you have? I have loads! I’ll be up until one in the morning finishing it!” I complain. He smiles. “I’ve got it all done. I just have some worksheets for the teachers to make.” He says and my mouth drops. “Seriously! Wow! I wish I had your brain!” I exclaim. He laughs.

After talking it came time for us to split. I watch him walk away and then turn to walk home. I get there and go up to my room. I drop my stuff to the side and fall onto my bed with a sigh. “Angel is that you?” My grandma ask. “Yeah! Just got home!” I yell out. “Welcome back. How was school?” She ask appearing in my doorway. “Exhausting. I have a shi-, uh, I mean a ton of homework and I’m exhausted.” She chuckles. “Do you think you’ll like it there?” I think back to Rebel and smile. “Definitely.”