Bruises

Rebel’s POV

I sit on the bench outside the school entrance waiting for Angel. I smile to my self. I like his name. It suits him~ He’s nice, but strong like a warrior angel! I look at my phone for the time. Hmmm. He should have been here by now. Everyone has already left. I hope he’s okay. . . I hear the doors open and close. I stand up. “Angel- What happened?!” I ask seeing his red knuckles and cheek. “Oh just a little argument. Don’t worry I took care of it.” He says giving me a smile. I tilt my head confused. He chuckles. “Come on. To my house then, yours.” He says walking. I follow. “Does your cheek hurt?” I ask. “No, they fight like girls compared to some people I’ve dealt with.” He tells me. “Oh. . . How about your knuckles?” I ask. I smiles. “I’m fine. I’ve been in tons of fights.” He explains. “Where you in a fight before I found you the other day?” I ask remembering him covered in bumps and bruises when we first met. “Yeah, but that was an unfair fight.” He says. “How?” 

“They brought knives.” He says simply. “Knives?!” I squeak out. He chuckles and I look down embarrassed. Great. I sounded pathetic. Angel can stick up for himself and I couldn’t even say ‘no’ to "him". . .No! Don’t think about it! I mentally shake my head. “Yeah, they were to chicken to take me on themselves.” He says chuckling some more. “So, how are we going to do this music thing?” He asks. I think, We could toss around notes. . .but that might be a little difficult. Oh! “How about we do a cover?” I ask him. “Like as in playing a song someone has already made, sure.” He says. I smile, “Okay.”  We walk in silence, but it’s not that awkward and uncomfortable silence that makes you want to kill yourself or try and make small talk. We are just walking in sync with a comfortable air of silence. I don’t like silence though, even if it’s comfortable. Mind starts to think. I don’t like that. Then, my head starts to fill with questions. “Did you really get suspended 15 times?” I ask. “Yeah I did."

“Was it because you were in fights?”

 “Most of the time.”

“What were the other reasons?”

“Back mouthing, cussing, and vandalism.”

“Do you miss your old school?”

“No.”  

“What about your friends?”

“Had none.”

“Why?”

“Everyone was afraid of me.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m scary looking.”

“I don’t think so.”

“You’re the first to think so, other than my grandparents.”

“Not even your parents?”

“Nope.”

“Oh. . .Did you like your old school?”

“Nope.”

“How many schools have you been to?”

“This is my second. My parents normally pay to keep me there, but they finally gave up.”

“Did you do it on purpose?”

“Did what?”

“Get in trouble.”

“. . . Yes.”

“Because you wanted to leave that school?”

“. . .Yes.”

“Are you going to do that here? Are you going to leave? Do you not like it here?” I ask and I feel a strange panic fill me at the thought of him leaving. 

“I won’t leave. I like it here. I’m trying to banish the ‘rebel’ act.”

“You can use my Rebel act.”

“Your ‘rebel’ act?”

“Yeah. My names Rebel and you can act like me.” I say and he smirks.

“I don’t think I can be as nice as you. Is it my turn to play 20 questions?” He ask and I nod nervously. Please don’t ask about my family! I don’t want to lie to you! “Okay, who decided on the name Rebel for you?” I let out a mental sigh of relief.

“Dad.”

“Why?”

“He thought he saw a rebellious shine in my eyes.” I tell him causing him to chuckle.

“Boy was he wrong.”

“Hey! I was a trouble maker! I just changed!”

“Okay, if you say so. What caused you to change?” I almost stop walking, but manage to keep moving. Angel side glances me noticing the falter in my step. “Um. . . I-I don’t know. . .” I stutter out my lie. It goes silent again, but this time it is an uncomfortable silence. He must know I was lying. He probably hates me for lying. What’s he going to ask now? Mind is racing when, he finally speaks. “Welcome to my home.” I look up in surprise. His house is neither small nor big. It’s nice looking. I start to get nervous as he leads me to the door, my mind racing in the silence. I’m about to meet his grandparents. How should I act? I want to leave a good impression. I haven’t had to deal with grandparents or parents in ages. The only adult figures I have to deal with are teachers! Calm down! You are only his partner for a project! It’s not like you’re his boyfriend! He probably doesn’t think of me as a friend. I start to get depressed even though I took my pills. Angel opens the door and hollers, “I’m home!” I hear steps and take a deep breath composing myself with my normal fake smile.