Chapter 13: Gravestone

On a green slope of a high mountain, there was a single gravestone, looking far at the valley and the sun shining beyond the horizon. Erik had knelt before it and was staring at it bluntly, apparently fallen deep into his thoughts... But no. He was talking. To the grave.

"So that's the situation. She was quite beautiful, you know - a tiny one, with fragrant brown hair and those brown eyes full of compassion and childish spark... She reminded me of certain someone when he was young..." he grinned playfully and bitterly, scratching his blond bushy hair. "But her big brother is too overprotective".

"I can't blame him. He too reminds me of a certain someone".

Erik started, but then smiled and looked up. He saw a tall, short-blond-haired guy of over four years younger than him sitting on the gravestone. He had light blue eyes like Erik, but his expression was more playful and bright. He wore a white kimono and a white bandana on his forehead. 

"You wanted to say, 'he reminds me of you', right?" Erik grinned

"You guessed," the guy winked and laughed. 

Erik laughed too, shaking his head.

"You were always so playful... So, how do you think? Will she make it?"

"Um... Isn't that still early to judge? She is still a newbie, after all".

"Her brother made it to Cancer's highest level in three years. Don't you think she has potential?"

"Yeah, if we judge by sibling bonds and talents, she might as well make it," the guy shrugged and began playing with an air sphere in his hand. "But I still need time to watch her, and you, just like you always do, screwed it all up". 

Erik raised an eyebrow and laughed:

"Now you're blaming it on me?"

"Who else? I wasn't there. You should've figured it was a bad idea to accompany her to her order building where her brother would most likely see you and tell her everything about our past".

"Duh, you advise me to have left that unconscious girl alone in the street in Tamie's hands?!" Erik muttered with irritation and crossed arms, sulking. Then he suddenly brightened: "But wait, what did you say just now? 'Our past'?"

"Yeah... What is it?"

"It is that Lord Nick doesn't know our past but only mine..." Erik's eyes sparkled with joy as he had clutched an important detail. "Then it's decided - it is time for you to act. You must go and enter that order".

"Are you crazy?!" the guy bent so forward towards Erik he almost fell off the gravestone, "Have you totally forgotten what I truly am?!"

"Ugh, come on, who can see through you? You're a professional!" 

"Don't forget that Edmund Jaeger is the overlord of Rose Cruce Order. I greatly suspect he, as a fellow Libra, can perfectly see through me, with those damn eyes of his!"

"Relax, he always wears those glasses".

"Damn you... Why should I always do the dirty work - because you cannot manage to sustain at least a certain contact with a girl?"

"I told you, there was not the proper situation! Seriously, you know if we don't get your work done I will never..." Erik suddenly stopped and sighed.

"Ugh, fine, I'll go there. I'll try my best not to get caught. But you'd better be right about that girl of yours - that she can become powerful enough".

"On that one, you can fully trust me," Erik winked.

"You were always too trustful towards people... I loved that quality of yours, though," the young man stood on the gravestone, "Well then, I'll get going. I'll send you all the info from time to time, to keep you up to date".

"Sounds good".

"Well then, good luck to us!" the boy laughed and vanished in thin air.

"Good luck to us, brother..."

Erik stared at the gravestone, those grey letters that notified who lay there fallen into eternal slumber: 

"Jan von Drachen".

A tiny tear fell from his eye.