a decade ago.

red devils - chapter six

"So what's with you and Jesse Lingard? Is that becoming a thing?" Linnea confronted me as we were unpacking our stuff.

"Oh.. I haven't really thought about it yet." That was it. That was the first lie I have ever told Linnea and the second it was out I already started doubting myself. Of course I'd been thinking about it. He seems nice, he's attractive. There's no reason it couldn't be, right?

Whilst.. "It wouldn't work out anyways. He's a professional footballer. He's too busy." I shook my head while hanging up my clothes. Still I was trying to figure out if Jesse was just a charming personality or if he was really attracted to me. I tried shaking these thoughts off of me as I said: "Lin, let's not talk about boys, okay? Let's enjoy our time here. It's not everday you're in the capital of the UK."

She smiled and agreed. "Anyways, I ship the two of you."

I raised an eyebrow. "You do what?"

She laughed as we were both getting ready to leave the apartment. Time for Sight Seeing, I guess.

Once again it was Linnea and I in the streets of a big city, but this time we weren't alone. As we were leaving the apartment Jesse and his best friend Marcus "Beans" Rashford decided to join us the second they saw us leaving.

Now it was us four, four people from Manchester in the streets of London. After seeing all the sights, taking some seriously embarrassing pictures together and posting some of them on social medias, we had no idea what to do and as he didn't know any better, Marcus decided to crack the worst joke in entire english history.

"So..", he said looking at us, "Since we're all british we must be friends with the Queen, let's go visit her and hang out at her place" Literally noone was laughing about that joke but me because I got what's up with all those cliches about Brits.

Marcus and I highfived each other. "Good one" I said while still chuckling. „You know we need a cool handshake" He said looking down to me. My eyes widened and I nodded, smiling through all of it. „Beans! How dare you betraying me?" Jesse exclaimed. „You must be kidding, Jess. No one could steal me from you." Linnea and I „aww"-ed as Marcus said that and Jesse jumped on the back of his best friend. „That's so cute, Beans. Can't believe there's something that cute in you."

After walking around for years like useless pieces of shits we decided to go to London Dungeon. We had a lot of fun with Jesse and Marcus and found us both being extremly attached to them after this day. They were two pretty funny guys. We decided to hang out more with each other.

Later that Day Linnea and I got ready for the pool party. We were leaving hour room dressed in bikinis and bath robes with the Three Lions Printing on it. We were heading through the hotel and took the elevator into the basement where the hotels own swimming pool was set. Walking down the corridor we could already hear different male voices yelling at each other and according to the noises they were playing volleyball or something like that.

I smiled even though I was pretty nervous inside. I hoped to meet some nice guys especially since I will (hopefully) work with them.

We entered the hall and just watched them for a while till Marcus saw us at the entrance. "Linnea, Smilla! We're here." We hung up our towels and went to them. Linnea was already hugging Marcus as salutatory as a tall, blonde man with blue eyes got out of one of the tubs and walked right to me.

"I'm Harry Kane, the teams captain. Glad you like to be our interpreter for this World Cup. I've only heard the best about you and your work." I immediately had to look at Jesse who was watching me and Harry showing a big thumbs up. He must've told Harry everything I told him.

I then looked back at Harry. "You play for Totteham Hotspurs, right? It's a great club. I'm Smilla Deighton but you must know that already. That girl over there is my soon-to-be colleague Linnea Goldblum" I pointed at Lin who was sitting at the edge of the pool, picking on Marcus with splashing water on him.

Harry then introduced both me and Linnea to all the players. They all seemed nice, they were a handsome team as well. In the end Linnea ended up playing volleyball with Kieran, Jordan Pickford, Kyle Walker, Jordan Henderson, Raheem Sterling and some other guys.

I was sitting on a beach chair watching them. Having Jesse, Marcus, John, Eric, Dele and Harry keeping me company. I watched Harry telling a story from Hotspurs as Dele joined him in telling while laughing. It was some funny thing that happened one time with Eric and open training sessions. Eric joined them in the end, finishing the rest of the storand we all ended up laughing our asses off.

"So what is it with you, Smilla? How come you now know everything about us, but we dont know anything about you?" Dele said smirking at me. I chuckled, he was being a flirt.

"Right tell us something, now!" Eric added.

I looked at Jesse and Marcus who were pretty entertained by the fact that I was literally blushing because of these guys. It just seems kinda off that some very famous footballers want to know more about me since I was only going to work for them and nothing more. They didn't even had to deal with me if Jesse didnt arrange this.

I started talking about myself. The usual stuff. Where I'm from, what I did to become a freelance interpreter. "And after finishing this job in New Zealand I went back to Manchester for a little vacation. Then I found Jesse who saved me from waiting for new job offers. It was his idea to become your interpreter." I said smiling happily and drinking a bit from my orange juice.

"Oh and Jesse and her went to Highschool together. Thats where he knew her from." Marcus said. "He had this big crush on her back then." He then added, whisper-screaming.

I nearly choked on my drink as I heard this. It struck me like lightning.

"Beans! What the fuck?" Jesse exclaimed asking his best friend.

Marcus immediately started to apologise: „I thought everyone knew that"

The rest of the group just chuckled. Telling Jesse that its nothing bad since it was like a decade ago. I agreed.

I looked at Jesse.

Finally knowing where I knew those pretty brown eyes from.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
So our boy Jesse had a crush on Smilla back in the good ol' days🤧
Seem's kinda cliche but you're gonna find out why this had to be done ☺️😉😏
Anyways, what did you guys think about this chapter? Is there anything I could do better? Let me know!

- lu