chapter 17

A M A R A

"Are you ready?" Luna asks, smiling wickedly as we walk to school really early to get everything ready. I nod and look over at Scarlett to see a smile on her face. Well, she looks like she's in a good mood today. I breathe out as if it would help the nerves escape my system. I wish it did.

"You ready, Scar?" I ask, nudging her with my elbow and looking at her.

"Yeah. I have a feeling that something is going to happen today though," she mumbles quietly while looking down at her feet.

"Same," Luna and I say at the same time. I smile even with fear filling my veins, afraid that well end up getting caught. If that's the case, then I'm done for, especially if the social services find out. I really hope that we don't get caught because I love living here and I have people I care about. I cant be taken away this time. Scarlett takes my hand as if to say it will be okay and Luna looks at me. Most of the time, its like we know when one of us is feeling down. They know parts of my situation, but they don't know what will happen if I get in even the slightest bit of trouble or if I have any grade lower than a C in school. They dont know I can get taken away because I didnt want to scare them or say anything about it until I know for sure it wont happen.

"We won't get caught, but if we do, I'll take the blame," Luna says smiling softly at me.

"You don't have to. I can handle it," I say looking at her.

"Look, Amara, you took the blame last time. Let us help. Plus, we can't be the Trouble Three with only two of us, so yes, we are going to take the blame," Scarlett says raising her brows at me as if she knows what will happen.

"Okay, but I can't promise I won't try to take a little bit of the blame," I say smiling at both of them. Scarlett rolls her eyes and Luna just shakes her head at me. It takes about five minutes for us to get to school and it will probably take about an hour for us to be done. It didn't help that Luna kept on jumping up and down in excitement and stopping in the middle of the sidewalk. We got done at around seven so they will start walking down the hallway in a couple of minutes.

"Emmaline, watch out!" A girl's voice snaps at me through the quiet air causing our heads to snap towards the sudden yell.