Chapter 8

"You're dying?" He gasped. "How? What's wrong with you?"

I sighed as he pulled his hair. "Sit down and I'll tell you my childhood now." I patted the place he had been occupying before, but he didn't sit down. He was shaking his head vigorously at me as he made a growling noise in his throat.

"I can't sit down. I can't..."

I sighed again. "Ok." I took a deep breath, and began to tell him my early childhood years. He smiled at my stupid moments, and even stopped pacing for a few moments until I arrived at my teenage years. "One day, after waking up and showering, I noticed I was extremely weak and loosing weight. My pants didn't fit correctly, and tightening them up left me a bit breathless. I thought it was just symptoms of me about to begin puberty or something, —I was a weird child back then, ok," I explained when I saw his lips twitching as he fought himself from laughing out loud. "— so I didn't tell my parents. It was only when I passed out in front of my mom did she freak out and took me to the doctor. She never thought it would be something serious; she thought it was just stress my body was going through as I was fighting a fever."

I gulped as I looked down at my arms that hugged my legs, licking my lips as my parched throat begged for some water. My voice was barely above a whisper as I continued. "That's when they found out. The doctor told them I had cancer. I heard my mother cry herself to sleep that night as my father tried very hard not to." I shuddered at the grainy memories. I could still hear his cracking voice as he tried to reassure my mother that everything was going to be alright, and that I was strong enough to fight it. That we had caught it on time before it did anything serious. "My treatments began soon after that, and it went away, thank goodness. My doctor told us that I had a high chance of getting it back, as my immune system sucks ass, so my parents were very afraid. But they never had to chance to find out if I would have to go through all the pain again. They died a few months before my eighteen birthday."

I wiped away a tear and bit my lip to stop myself from sobbing out loud. "I didn't know the cancer came back until I started to feel weak again. I went back to our doctor, and just one look at me, he knew I was sick again. I have CLL again Xavier, and I can't do anything about it."

"And why the hell not?" He exploded, the smile on his face from before long gone. "We have Quinn here! She can heal you!"

I was shaking my head before he even finished. "She knows already. She can't heal me."

"Fucking damn!" He kicked the tree I was propped on, causing some splinters to come flying my way. I quickly stood up, avoiding the mess, and took many steps back.

"I'm sorry Xavier. That's why I don't want to be here. I want to live my life before it ends for me."

He was shaking his head the entire time, not listening to me. "Xavier?"

"I have to go. I'm sorry," he spat out and quickly ran away, leaving me alone. I wiped the remaining tears that were on my face, and slowly made my way back inside. I didn't realize how long we had been out there until I looked up at the sky, and saw the sunset halfway done. My stomach growled as I stepped through the threshold of the door, and I saw Noah a few feet away, making his way to the dining room I supposed.

"Eva! Ready for dinner?" He got one good look at me and frowned. "Wait, what's wrong? Why are you crying? Did my son do this to you?"

I shook my head as I looked away. "No, no. We just... talked, and he got upset. I was crying before he left."

I felt a hesitant hand go around me, but when I hugged him back, he hugged me tighter. "Do you want to talk about it?"

I sighed as I pulled back, wiping my eyes again. "I guess it's time everyone knew as well. I might not know you all, but you have been very kind to me, and I shouldn't be keeping secrets just in case..."