Chapter 10

"Why?" I managed to croak out after swallowing multiple times. He took the steps up towards the gazebo, and stood in front of me.

"We don't want you to go."

"Who's we?"

He hesitated for a few seconds, but then swallowed and said one word. "Everyone."

I blinked rapidly. "You barely know me. I'm a stranger who you've knocked over a couple of times. A stranger who has bared out her life to you, but doesn't expect anything else in return."

"You're my friend."

I flinched at his words, and took a step back. "You're only saying that to make me feel bad."

He shook his head rapidly. "No. That's not true. I really do think of you as a friend."

And nothing else? A small part of me thought, but I brushed it off. "I can't. But I also can't stop what I'm doing. I need to breathe. I need to live before I go."

Now it was his turn to flinch and take a step back. "So you really want to die? You want to leave behind all the people who have fallen in love with you heartbroken?"

I rolled my eyes. "No one loves me. Everyone who has ever loved me has died."

"That's not true!" He exploded, making me jump. "My family loves you! I-" he stopped himself and took a deep breath. "Please stay."

I shook my head. "No. I'm going. I'm sorry, but there's nothing that can-" Something running down my nose halted me, and his eyes widened. He flew to me as I swiped a finger above my lip to see blood oozing down. I cursed, sitting down as he gently pushed me down.

"Stop it. I'm fine." I tilted my head back, and heard ripping. A second later, part of the shirt he was wearing was in my view, and I slowly took it, pressing it to my nose.

"We will see what Quinn says."

"Wai-"

"What happened?" I sighed as Quinn appeared a few seconds later, rushing to me as well. Her hands tilted my face towards her as Xavier quickly told her what had happened.

"I'm fine. Really, I am!" I sat normally, slowly taking away the white cloth from my nose and took a deep breath. When nothing came out and the lingering scent of copper filled my nose, I smiled and raised my hands. "See. I'm perfectly fine. You all are overreacting."

They didn't pay attention to me, which really pissed me off. They spoke as if I wasn't in the same spot with them. "Stop stressing her out. In her condition-"

"I know, I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

"Keep an eye out on her. If it happens again..."

I didn't listen to what else she was going to say. I walked away from the gazebo, going through the trees and away from everyone and everything. There was some whispering I didn't understand before a rustling of wind, and then a black wolf with white colored paws and white tipped ears appeared in front of me. I froze, not recognizing the wolf, my heart gaining speed as it lowered down to the ground in a crouch. But then it tilted its head, pointing towards its back before nudging my leg with his nose.

I jumped back at the wet contact, and turned around to see if Xavier was watching this. But when I didn't see him, I turned back around and saw the wolf in the same position.

"That's Xavier, Eva. No need to be alarmed!" Quinns voice echoed to me as she yelled out her words from who knew where. I eyed "Xavier" and only saw his big head nod at the words.

"Can you morph back?" He shook his head, and I frowned. "Why not?"

His ears twitched, and his teeth bared before he bounced back towards the light. A few seconds later, he came back with a piece of fabric in his mouth, and I understood completely.

"You're naked. Gotcha. No need to see that." A wolf chuckle escaped from the wolf, and I glared at him as I tried so hard not to laugh myself.

"Where are you planning on taking me?" He just stared at me silently, nudging back down to the ground and I sighed. "Fine. But if you are taking me to my death, I'll hate you for cutting my life shorter than it is."

He growled at my words as he trotted away from me. My mouth dropped in confusion, but then I gasped in shock when he flicked his tail in my face as a gentle slap.

"What was that for?"

He yelled and growled again before crouching down to his stomach. I flicked his back, knowing he probably didn't feel anything, and slowly got on it. My hands immediately gathered a bunch of fur, and I yelped as he stood up on all fours.

"Oh... my... god!" I screamed as he bolted through the trees. My face slammed down to his neck, and I got a mouth full of fur as I tried not to get whacked in the head with low branches. "SLOW... DOWN!"

The wolf underneath me only sped up. I screamed again, digging my nails into his back and gasped when he stopped out of nowhere. If I didn't have a death grip on him, I would have probably flown over his head and into the floor.

I released my hold, plopping down to the floor and then proceeded to try and kick the living shit out of the laughing wolf in front of me.

"You ASSHOLE!" I yelled as he wagged his tail and avoiding my hits by jumping. I huffed and stomped on place as he continued to laugh or whatever the choked noises he was making were. When he noticed that I wasn't in the laughing mood, his ears flopped down for two seconds, his eyes dropping as well before he became happy again. His tongue came out panting like a dog, and he took several steps forward, so his wet nose was touching my forehead.

That's how big he was, and that's how tiny I was.

"Why did you bring me here?" I sighed and he took a step back. His butt plopped down in a sitting position, and his head inclined down, motioning for me to mimic him. I rolled my eyes, but sat down in the grass and watched as he slowly walked backwards. He disappeared, but reappeared moments later, a shirt in his hand. Some basketball shorts were already covering his bottom half thank goodness.

"Sorry about that." He grinned as he slipped the shirt over his head. He sat back down in front of me, and then stared at me. For a few seconds, I stared back until I couldn't keep eye contact anymore. I looked away, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear and watched as the branches swayed with the wind.

"Evangeline..."

My name was carried with the wind, and my eyes slowly went back to the face of the owner of the voice. "Please..."

"I can't," I whispered, already knowing what he was thinking about. "I'm sorry, but I can't. A change of scenery will not change my mind." The wind picked up speed, completely changing the weather around us. "I need to be free, like the wind." I picked up my hands and motioned to the invisible air. "It may someday be trapped, but sooner or later, a crack will happen, and it will be free once more. Let me be the wind Xavier. Let me see my freedom before I die."

His face hardened. "That's what I'm trying to avoid here."

I stood up, giving him my back. "You barely know me. A few weeks ago, we were strangers. Just because I've been with you for a while doesn't mean we are family. We can be friends, Xavier, but I can't afford to be anything else. Not when I'm moments away from leaving-"

"Do you know how many people will take this opportunity with open hands? Do you know how many people will accept taking the change for a chance at a second life? I am offering you a second chance Eva. I am offering you a life time with us... with me."

I froze, and heard as he slowly walked in front of me, pausing to slowly move my head up with two fingers.

"We might have only been strangers days ago, fuck, hours ago, but I can't let you go. Not anymore." He sighed, dropping his hand as he looked down as well. "My family had make a sacrifice to keep a loved one, but that doesn't change what is happening here. That doesn't change the way my sides react when you're around..."

"Xavier... what are you saying?" I whispered breathlessly. His lips moved, but no words came out. Finally, he closed them, and gave me a small smile instead.

"It will be easier if just show you," he said before he leaned in.