Chapter 9

Breakfast the next few days were completely different. Everyone acted different around me, watching my every move as if I would crack, or get hurt in front of them and bleed out to my death. It annoyed me that they were treating me like a fragile china doll, but at least the heavy weight was off my chest and I didn't have to explain why I looked like death some days.

"Are you feeling alright today, dear? Do you want to go back to your room and eat breakfast in bed?" Delilah whispered into my ear as we waited for the last few people to enter. Today officially marked a week, so that meant it was game night/family day. Quinn, Emilee, Dimitri and their kids were coming over for breakfast as well.

I sighed and cocked my head sideways so I didn't have to raise my voice. "I'm fine. Just pretend I never told you that and treat me like a normal person, please. I won't die today."

Her lips thinned, but she nodded and grabbed both of my hands in between hers. She squeezed them, before she dropped them only to pull me into a hug, completely surprising me. "I'll try Evangeline. We might had been strangers a week ago, but I already see you as a daughter. I care for you."

My heart soared at her words. A stranger cared for me. A stranger...

I unwrapped myself from her warm embrace and took the necessary steps back so I wouldn't feel so uncomfortable being close to her. "Not trying to dim the mood any more, but how longer do I have to stay? Is a week enough for them to forget about me? I know I did." I cracked a smile, knowing it didn't meet my eyes, and she knew. She tried to smile back, but it didn't last more than two seconds.

"Actually, Alex was going to talk to you about that later on, but since you mentioned it, I guess I'll tell you." Her hand went up to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear, and I had to fight the urge to cringe back. "It is safe for you to leave now," my eyes widened in surprise, but she raised a finger to halt me. "But I would feel much better if you left tomorrow, if you still wish to leave. Let us enjoy your company on one last family game night."

I looked into her hazel eyes, that were begging for me to stay one last day. They widened even more as I took more time to think about it, and I chuckled softly as she added a small pout. "I guess. But only until tomorrow!" I was gasping before I could finish my sentence. She had engulfed me into a tight hug, picking me up as everyone watched, laughing.

"You can be my partner. Alex can play with his grandson."

"Wait, what?" Alex gasped as everyone in the room laughed while the rest of the family arrived. The screaming kids followed maids to a separate dining room, where many male and female pack members looked out for them so the parents could eat in peace. Only babies stayed with their parents, and since Alice was the only one who had given birth recently, she was the only one who had a child in her arms.

As I looked around the room, watching everyone take their seats, I noticed someone was missing.

"Where's Xavier?" I whispered mostly to myself, but of course, with all of the supernatural hearing, they heard me.

"He still hasn't, err, arrived from his... walk last night."

I blinked rapidly as I slumped down in an empty chair, not watching who was around me.  A plate was placed in front of me, and all thoughts of Xavier erased from my mind as I saw the French toast smothered in fruit and cream. I heard a few chuckles, but I didn't pay attention as I dug in, mentally moaning as the berries burst in my mouth, creating a mouthwatering concoction.

It wasn't long after we finished our breakfast, that Quinn quickly followed behind me, halting me mid step. "So I heard you told them all a few days ago. Are you ok?"