Chapter 16

**Xaviers POV**

The sea of black could be seen from miles away as the casket was lowered down to the ground. The sun tried to shine through the dark clouds of grey, but the day reflected upon everyone's mood.

I didn't want to be here. I couldn't be here. It just brought memories of what could have happened, and it made tears threaten to spill from my eyes.

I couldn't cry. Not in front of the whole pack. Not in front of the whole family. I was the hybrid. I was supposed to be strong, not weak. But here I was, trying to hold back the tears that threatened to fall.

I felt a heavy hand come down on my shoulder, and I looked up to see my dad staring straight at me. He gave me a small look of sympathy, before he gestured down to my balled up fists, which made me relax them.

"I can't be here..." I whispered as the air started to be tainted with salt. "I'm sorry, but I can't."

"I understand honey. Go. I'll cover for you." My moms comforting words came from besides him, and I bent down to hug and kiss her cheek. I hugged my dad, and weaved my way through the crowd, feeling eyes on me.

When I finally left the thick part of the crowd, my feet took me straight to a corner. I didn't have to look to see where I was going; my feet were dragging my body to my destination like a magnet, and I couldn't stop myself. When I finally reached the first line of trees, did she step out, and stretch out her arms for a hug.

I didn't hesitate. I closed the distance between us and engulfed her petite body into my arms, burying my face in her hair. She hugged me back, and I relished on the fact that this was the first time she had initiated contact since the change. Since she became one of us.

"I'm sorry, Xavier," she breathed as she stepped away, looking down at the ground. I could feel both my wolf and vampire side trying to take over me, so I could take our soulmate back into our arms and never let her go, but I remembered I had made a promise. She turned, she kept her part of the deal, so now I had to keep mine, even if it tore me apart.

"You have nothing to apologize. It's nature. Everyone has to die at some point, and it was just her time. But as a member of the royal pack, I had to attend. I just didn't want to be there for long..." I trailed off, not wanting to say the rest of the sentence. She understood me though, because her eyes widened, and she nodded.

"I'm sorry.... for that."

I gave her a forced smile. "You're alive. That is all I care about."

"Alive and free," she breathed and looked behind my shoulder. "I will be here until tomorrow, and then I'm officially free."

I gulped and gave her another forced smile. "You must be excited."

She nodded enthusiastically. "I am! I can't wait to see world. I thought I was going to miss out on a lot, but now that I don't have to worry about time, I can see everything!"

She laughed and twirled around gracefully, giving me a memory I would never forget.

Gosh, she was so beautiful. Her brown hair flowed freely, and bounced around her as she danced. The blue eyes that captivated me the very first time were now full of life, and not worry about living. The change brought out a side of her I hadn't seen, but it was still her. She was just more freely, and preppy, but she was still Eva. My Eva.

Even before she turned, she was beautiful. It only took me days to fall for her without realizing, and then the knowledge that the love I felt for her would only increase because of our soulmate connection made me happier. But now she was leaving. She was leaving me, just so she could live.