The Stars That Night {5}

"Garrett!"

                I winced and looked up at my mom with a sweet smile. "Yes, mother?"

                "Don't even pretend like I can't see you feeding that dog under the table," she said, narrowing her eyes at me. "Michigan has his own damn food. You're going to turn him into more of a beggar than he already is."

                "But he likes it," I said, and slipped Michigan another piece of toast. "He likes when I put peanut butter on toast."

                "And I like when my dog isn't whining at my feet every time I try to have a meal," mom said, grabbing Michigan's collar and dragging him away from me. "You have your own food, you spoiled rotten creature."

                Dad came into the kitchen and frowned at mom. "Why are you dragging the dog?"

                "Your son is feeding him again," mom said.

                "He likes peanut butter," I said, signing it out too in case he missed any of my words.

                "That doesn't mean you feed it to him," dad said. "What are you doing today?"

                "We're going to Akira's tonight to have a fire and watch a movie," I said, leaning back in my chair. "Hopefully something scary. A nice horror movie while we sit unsuspecting and defenseless outside."

                "I worry about you so much," mom said with a sigh.

                "But no plans for the day?" dad said.

                "You're going to ask me to do something," I said, narrowing my eyes at him.

                "You're right," he agreed. "I'll give you money, but I need you to go pick up Michigan's food. He's running out of the wet food, and you know he won't eat the dry food without it mixed in."

                "Dad, no," I said in horror. "The pet store is in the south side of town. I'm not trying to get stabbed. Or shot. Or mugged. Or human trafficked. Or cornered by those people who ring the Salvation Army bell like Chinese water torture."

                Dad pat my shoulder. "Stick to the pet store. I know it's in the south side, but it's in an open plaza, so there's not as much trouble there."

                The south side of town was something the rest of us tended to avoid. It was the part of the city where crime rates were the highest, as well as a rapidly spreading drug problem and even some gang activity. It tended to branch out towards the neighboring city instead of inwards to the nicer parts of our city, which was the only relief. Unfortunately, the south side also held the only pet shop in the city, since the one in the north side had shut down.

                Okay, okay, so I was overreacting a bit. I'd been to the south side plenty of times with no trouble. Chain stores tried to situate themselves in open plazas where there was less trouble. The main shopping area wasn't nearly as dangerous as the housing areas.

                Mom knelt down and turned Michigan's face so he was looking at me. "Come on Garrett, you'll feed your brother peanut butter but you won't buy him his favorite part of his own meal?"

                "Stop using his cuteness against me," I groaned. "Fine, fine, I'll risk my life to get Mich his food."

                "Here. I'll even give you extra so you can pick up some snacks for you and your friends," dad said, grabbing his wallet and taking out some money. He handed it to me and pat my shoulder again. "Thanks, Gar. Your mom and I have to go help your grandmother today, or else I would've done it."