The Stars That Night {22}

"Come on, get up if you want breakfast."

                Silas was shaking me, but I rolled over and pulled a pillow over my head. You couldn't kiss me in the middle of the night and then expect me to wake up early the next morning. I needed at least enough sleep to legally be considered a koala.

                "Garrett," Silas said impatiently. "Get up or you ain't coming. You can make your own damn breakfast."

                "God, you're so needy," I groaned, rolling over. "Fine, I'm up. Go shower. The bathroom is right next to my room. Fresh towels in the closet in there. Help yourself to my clothes. I'm going to shower in my parents' bathroom."

                "Be quick," he said, grabbing clothes from my closet and leaving the room.

                I forced myself to get up, grabbing clean clothes and leaving my room. I knocked on the bathroom door.

                "Hey, there are spare toothbrushes in the top drawer. Grab any one you want," I called before heading down the hall to my parents' room.

                I showered, brushed my teeth, and got into clean clothes. I went back to my bedroom, where Silas was waiting.

                "You ready yet?" he asked.

                "I'm so ready, Spongebob would be jealous," I said, grabbing my wallet and tucking it into my pocket. "Where are we meeting them?"

                "That brunch place by the intersection. You know the one?" he said.

                "Oh hell yea, their French toast cured my depression," I said as we left my room.

                We went downstairs, where Michigan charged over to sit on Silas's feet, forcing Silas to pet him. My parents were making breakfast together, dad trying to teach mom how to properly flip an omelet.

                "You're up early, Gar," mom said in surprise. "Do you two want breakfast? We'll make you-"

                "We?" dad said.

                "Dad will make you breakfast and I'll try not to screw it up," mom amended.

                I laughed but shook my head. "No thanks, we're going out to get breakfast with Silas's friends. If Michigan ever gets off Silas's feet."

                "Michigan, come here," mom said, taunting him with a piece of cheese. Michigan abandoned Silas in favor of the food.

                "And look, Garrett, you're missing out. I'm using the tomatoes from my garden," dad said proudly, holding up incredibly tiny tomatoes.

                "I bet it'll taste great," I said. "Save me some so I can try them tomorrow?"

                "Okay," dad said, happily setting a few into a bowl on the windowsill. "They're very good."

                "Can't wait to try them," I said. "I'll text you if I'm not coming back home after we eat."

                "Bye, boys. It was nice to see you again, Silas," mom said.

                "Thanks for letting me stay, ma'am," Silas said.

                "You're welcome anytime, especially if it means Garrett wakes up before the afternoon," mom said.

                "We're leaving, mother," I said, pulling Silas out of the house.

                "Is that where your tomato obsession came from?" Silas asked as we got in my car.