The Stars That Night {20}

"Hey dad, will you help me set up the telescope when it gets dark out? I want to let Silas look at the sky," I said, sitting in the living room with my parents.

                "Sometimes I don't know why you even try," mom said, elbowing dad to get his attention. She signed to him and he looked surprised, looking over at me.

                "Just let me know what time," he signed back. "That's nice of you."

                Mom shoved at him until he got off the couch and reluctantly left the room. She rolled her eyes as he left.

                "He took his hearing aids out to take a nap," she said. "Garrett, where is Silas from?"

                "I don't know," I said. "He's been living with Ray the past few years, but I don't know where he lived before that. I don't think he really wants to talk about it."

                "He just talks like he's not from around here," she said. "He seems like a bit of a troublemaker, but Ray seems to have a good handle on him."

                "He's not bad," I insisted. "Really, he's not. I think he came from a rough place and it's just hard to adjust."

                "I don't think he's bad. I'm just begging you to warn me next time the person you're inviting is in a war with Mr. Waymire," she said.

                "Yea, sorry about that," I said, rubbing the back of my neck. "I was hoping it wouldn't be a problem."

                "Speaking of problems, how did everything with Roan go? He went back to his parents and he didn't look too happy. Did something happen?" she said, looking worried.

                "He doesn't like Silas. Okay, wait, I should clarify; he doesn't actually know Silas, he's just heard about Silas used to act when he first came here. They got in an argument when we were playing basketball, but it didn't escalate into anything," I said.

                "I really didn't think he would show up," she said. "Are you okay?"

                "I'm fine," I promised.

                Dad came back into the room and sat down next to mom, pulling a blanket over their legs. "You finally found someone who will look at the stars with you?"

                I nodded. "Yea, Silas loves the stars!"

                "Good. I'm glad," dad said. "The telescope is all yours anytime the two of you want it."

                I checked the time. "I'm actually going to head to his house. I figured we could get dinner before it got too dark out."

                "Good, that means we don't have to cook anything," mom said. She looked at dad, lightly shaking his shoulder. "If you're awake enough, let's go walk to that diner and get dinner there. We can head to the ice cream place after and get a sundae."

                Dad perked right up. "Oh, I love the diner. We can bring a milkshake back for Garrett."

                "Look what you've done to my marriage. I can't even take my husband on a date without him thinking of someone else," mom said, throwing a pillow at me.

                "Hey, I'm not going to say no to a milkshake," I said, catching the pillow.

                "We should definitely have a family night out soon. But for tonight, no kids allowed. I'm going to go get ready. You think about what you want to eat. I'm paying," dad said, getting up and leaving the room.