The Stars That Night {21}

It was late into the night when we finally decided to call it quits on the star gazing. Silas had texted Ray to let him know he wasn't coming home tonight.

                Michigan was asleep in the grass near us, but he sleepily picked his head up as we started heading towards the house. Silas grabbed my arm before we got too far from the telescope.

                "Everything okay?" I asked, looking over my shoulder at him.

                "You always take a picture," he said.

                "Oh!" I said, smacking my palm to my forehead. "Sorry, I was so caught up in the sky, I totally forgot about my phone."

                I took my phone out of my back pocket and shifted closer to Silas. I made sure the telescope was in the background of our picture as we both smiled at the camera. I snapped the picture, looking at the frozen image on the screen.

                Silas's smile was still small and a little awkward, but it was there. It was there, next to my own genuine smile.

                I knelt down and shook Michigan a little. He whined and reluctantly got up to follow me inside the house.

                Silas and I went upstairs, Michigan trailing behind us. I stopped to let him into my parents' room before continuing on down to mine.

                Silas was looking at his phone as we entered the room. He locked it and tucked it back in his pocket.

                "My friends want to get breakfast tomorrow," he said. He put his hands in his pocket and looked away from me. "You can come if you want, I guess."

                "Kaito isn't really a fan of me," I said.

                "He said it was okay to bring you. 'Long as you're not being annoying," he said.

                "I'm always annoying, so," I said. "But I'm also always down for breakfast. First, I'm down for sleep."

                I let Silas borrow some clothes to sleep in and the two of us got changed. Silas stood there as I pulled the covers on my bed back, like he was waiting for something.

                "Are you comfortable sharing the bed?" I asked, realizing he was waiting for me to tell him where to sleep. "If not, I can set up blankets on the floor and sleep there."

                "I ain't going to make you sleep on the floor in your own house," Silas said.

                I gestured to my bed. "It's big enough that Akira, Jack, and I can usually squeeze together. But we don't have to share it if you're not comfortable with that."

                "Are, you know, are you comfortable? With that? It's your room." He had dropped his gaze, his telltale nervous sign.

                "Sure, there's nothing weird about it," I said with a shrug, lying on my bed. "Just please, god, tell me you don't hog the blankets. Jack always hogs the blankets."

                "I don't," Silas said, getting onto the bed and lying as far from me as he could get without falling off.

                "Silas, I don't bite. You don't have to sleep right on the edge," I said, motioning to the plentiful free space between us.

                He hesitantly moved over a little bit. I stretched and got up, turning off the lights and lying back down. I closed my eyes, feeling tired but not tired enough to fall right to sleep.