The Stars That Night {7}

"Come on, get up you lazy lump!"

                I opened my eyes and glared at Jack. "Stop shaking me. I'm sleeping."

                "You're not sleeping. Your eyes are open and you're talking to me," Jack said.

                I shut my eyes and rolled over. "Sleeping."

                "Waking," Akira said, pushing me so I fell off the cushions and onto the grass. "Get up. We're hungry."

                "Then go eat," I said, wondering how many ants would crawl on me if I just slept on the grass.

                Jack and Akira grabbed my arms and hauled me to my feet. I groaned miserably as my blanket slipped from my shoulders to the ground.

                "I wish that was me," I said, staring at it longingly. "Peaceful. Lying down. Not being annoyed by you two."

                "Too bad it's not you," Akira said, dragging me towards the house.

                We went inside and searched around the kitchen until we had enough stuff to make waffles. We waited impatiently until they were ready, and gathered at the table with them.

                "Pass me the syrup," Jack said, trying to reach his arm across the table for the bottle.

                Akira smacked his arm. "Don't reach over the table for things. We use manners in my house."

                "Pass me that fucking syrup or I'll flip this whole table," Jack said, leaning forward more.

                "I'm gonna chug the syrup," I said.

                Jack narrowed his eyes at me. "Don't chug the syrup."

                "Chugging the syrup," I said, lifting the bottle up towards my mouth.

                "Oh my god," Akira said, getting up and snatching the bottle from me. He slammed in down in front of Jack before taking his seat again. "You two have made me ready to run a daycare service if all future career paths fail me."

                "See, we're just looking out for you, pal," Jack said with a bright smile, picking up the syrup and drenching his waffle in it.

                "Yea, greatest friends ever," Akira grumbled.

                My phone buzzed in my pocket and I took it out, checking the ID. I stood up, excusing myself and hurrying away to the living room. It was Roan, and I knew he'd be a pain in the ass about last night. I didn't need my friends hearing that.

                "Hi, Roan," I answered.

                "How was your bonfire?" God, I hated that tone of voice he got when he was mad.

                "It was fun!" I said, trying to keep myself cheerful. "We're just eating breakfast right now. You still want to hang out tonight?"

                "I wanted to hang out last night," he said.

                "Well, last night I had a bonfire and some old horror movies to attend to. But tonight I'm all yours, lucky you," I said.

                "Yea, lucky me. Well, it'll be shitty, because we'll be mostly trapped in my room. But yea, sure, feel free," he said.

                "It can still be fun," I insisted. "We can watch a movie and...I don't know, play video games together or go for a walk or something. We'll find something."