The Stars That Night {24}

"I'm pretty sure that ain't how sharks or tornados work," Silas said.

                "It's not supposed to be accurate," I said, throwing a small handful of Reese's pieces at him.

                He plucked a few off his lap and popped them in his mouth. "Then what's it supposed to be? 'Cause it sure ain't entertaining."

                "Billy Ray Cyrus is in the second one," I said.

                "Cool, one more reason not to watch it," Silas said.

                "Worried about your achy breaky heart?" I said.

                "Still waitin' for that day you know when to shut your mouth," he said.

                I rested my legs across his lap, resting my head on the arm of the couch. "You're the one over here complaining about the accuracy of a SyFy movie."

                "Are you guys still watching these bad movies?" Ray asked, coming into the living room with a pizza box balanced in one hand. "I bought some piz-" He paused and pulled out his buzzing cell phone, annoyance flashing on his face as he held it up to his ear. "I am blocking your number. I don't care if you gave birth to me, you call right as I'm about to set up dinner. I...Well, no, I didn't cook but...Yes! He's eating healthy! I was at work so I grabbed a pizza on my way home! I'm a grown man, and I-" He let out a frustrated noise and tossed the phone onto Silas's lap. "You deal with it. She wants to talk to you."

                "Ray." Silas glared and tried to shove the phone back into Ray's hands.

                "Talk to your damn grandmother, you punk ass kid," Ray said, leaving the room.

                I laughed silently as Silas grumbled out curse words and brought the phone up to his ear. He always ignored his grandma's calls, and I was glad to see Ray finally making him talk to her.

                "Yea?" Silas said, his voice reluctant. "I ain't ignoring you, I just been, uh, busy." He winced as his grandma raised her voice. "I ain't ignoring you! It's summer and I get busy!"

                I lightly kicked his leg and he glared at me. I shook my head at him, laughing again as he hit my shin.

                "I can't talk right now. I got a friend over, and we're about to eat. Mhm, I'll call you back later when I'm free. Bye," Silas said, hanging up.

                Ray poked his head back into the room, narrowing his eyes at Silas. "Silas Zachary, did you just lie to your grandmother about calling her back?"

                "Raymund Nicholas, did you just make me talk to your mom 'cause you were too lazy to do it yourself?" Silas said, throwing the phone at Ray.

                Ray caught it easily. "Punk ass kid. Pizza is in the kitchen when you're ready." He looked at the TV in confusion. "Are those...sharks in a tornado? You know what, I don't actually want an answer to that. I don't understand entertainment nowadays."

                He left the room, and I stretched a little. Silas crossed his arms, resting them on my legs.

                It had been like this for a few weeks now. Our late night secrets had turned to daytime stolen moments. Silas was slowly adjusting to being with a man, going as far as to hold my hand in front of Ray sometimes. He hadn't told his friends about us, though by the way he brought me along with them, I'm sure they suspected something. I hadn't told my friends out of respect for Silas's privacy, but I'm sure they'd guessed our relationship by now.