The Stars That Night {26} END

"Michigan, I will bring you back to, well, Michigan!" mom threatened.

                Michigan barked, tail wagging and body ready to take off at a run. He bit down harder on half of an orange he'd stolen off the table.

                "Is that bad for dogs?" dad asked me.

                "I doubt it. Let's let her struggle," I signed to him. He grinned and pat my shoulder.

                "Fine! Eat the orange! You're worse than Garrett, I swear," mom said, giving up as he darted past her.

                "Hey, I'm not bad," I said, frowning.

                "Don't play innocent. Ray said you and Jack were climbing that tree in the backyard the other day. I told you not to climb trees, Garrett," mom said, crossing her arms. "You're going to get hurt." She nudged dad. "Tell your son he's going to get hurt."

                "You're going to get hurt," dad said. "But...how high did you climb?"

                "I'm leaving the country," mom said, throwing her hands up in defeat.

                Dad stood up, putting one arm around mom and one arm around me. "Don't leave the country. We agreed to hike and have a picnic next weekend. I wanted to show Garrett the flowers on the trail."

                "Fine, I'm leaving the country after our family hike," mom said.

                "I'll pick you a flower," dad offered.

                "I'll bring it with me to France. Or Italy. I haven't actually decided where I'm going yet," mom said.

                "I'll pick you two flowers," dad said.

                "You've won me over, I'll stay in America," mom said. "Make them really nice flowers, and make it three."

                "One for each of us?" I said.

                "Sometimes I love my family," mom said, reaching out to lightly ruffle my hair. "Aren't you leaving soon?"

                "Yea," I said, checking my phone. "I've got to pick Silas up in a few minutes. I doubt I'll be home tonight, but I'll text you. We're probably going to stay at Akira's."

                "Have fun and don't climb anymore trees," she said.

                "But if you do, send me a picture. I like the view," dad said. At mom's glare, he hastily added, "But don't climb trees."

                I laughed and grabbed my bag off the table. "I won't climb trees. Maybe. Bye guys!"

                "Bye Garrett," they called as I left the house.

                I got in my car and rolled the windows down, knowing that with summer nearing its end, the temperature would start to drop. I was already getting excited for all the fall activities, and the snow that would be here in a few months. I'd already promised to take Silas snowboarding with me and my friends.

                I reached Silas's house and got out of the car, going up and knocking on the door. Ray answered and let me into the house.

                "Si!" he called. "Garrett is here."

                "You told my mom I was climbing the tree in Jack's yard," I said. "I thought I could trust you, Ray."

                "I had to get Jack out of that damn tree when he was a little kid. If you airheads got stuck up there, I was leaving you to your fate," he said with a shrug.