8. Multiple

Beta Ch.8 "Multiple"

"I should smack you right now." Asa glared at Mathys.

"Well, that's understandable. I don't blame you or anything." Mathys simply took out a cigarette and began to smoke.

Behind him sat Rob and Grant, who was sitting Indian style and seemingly unconsciousness. His eyes looked empty and his body was slightly slumped forward.

"Now that Rob placed him in his mind, I'll quickly explain what I'm about to do." the girls gathered around to listen to Mathys' explanation. "You see, the Guardian lies within the mind of their master. From there, a Beta can call their Guardian out of their mind and give them a psychical form. For some reason, Grant's Guardian hasn't contacted him in anyway, which is extremely unusual for a Guardian. So, I have two theories. One, the Guardian isn't there or two, something is preventing the Guardian from contacting Grant."

"It's most surly not one. It's already proven he's an auto-Beta." Tina added.

"Correct. That means it must be two. Something is preventing the Guardian from contacting him. Whatever it is must be something big. I heard of something like this before. Usually, it takes the psychic type of crap to fix it, but since I don't know any doc, I have a better option... I'm going to pull the damn Guardian straight out of Grant's mind."

"Wait a second. How is that even possible?" Shibaki asked.

"Simple really, Rob is going to use his shadows to pull it out. I don't know all the details, but he says light and darkness lies inside everyone or whatever and he can connect his shadows into Grant's to pull his Guardian out."

"That's... quite vague... and incredibly risky. You do know that..."

"I know, I know. If this fails because of what is holding the Guardian is too strong, then the connection between Grant and his Guardian will forever be locked." Mathys interrupted.

"Then why are you doing this? Can't we just wait for it to appear? Why are you trying to hurt my brother?" Asa grabbed Mathys by his collar.

"Look, girly... you wouldn't understand. This is more of an auto-Beta thing, okay? Only we can understand why it's important to have a Guardian. Just trust me on this. If I do end up hurting him, then you can be first to punch me out of here."

For a while the two just stared at each other. Asa tried to see if Mathys was joking by looking into his eyes, but she saw he was dead serious. Finally, she sighed and released her grip.

"Fine, just this once." she agreed.

"You know, you can be quite the character, girly." he brushed his shoulders off nonexistence dust and smiled at her.

"Quit calling me girly."

Mathys ignored Asa and walked towards Grant and Rob. "Ready, Rob?" he sat down.

"Yes, master." Rob touched the ground. Shadows from around him began to move swiftly from the original place and slowly stretched towards Grant. Rob slightly raised his hand, lifting the shadows off the ground and turning them into thorns. He then closed his fingers to his palm, moving the thorns to Grant's unconscious body. He stopped his fingers just an inch from his palms, which halted the tip of the shadow thorns on Grant's skin. The thorns consistently move around Grant's skin, like snakes.

"What's going on?" Lola whispered to Mathys.

"This is where Rob has to find where the source of the problem. If it's something psychical like a scar, then he needs to pull the Guardian out from the other end of the scar. It somewhat bypasses the problem and allows the Guardian to take form." Mathys whispered back.