Chapter 1

Namjoon settles his round glasses on the bridge of his nose and he checks the time on his digital clock. He lets his arm slip and he rolls to the other side of his bed. It was only 3 in the morning, and he wasn't even the least bit tired. Namjoon had tried every trick in the book, getting a warm cup of camomile tea, he drew himself a warm bath, he tried the use of essential oils, he even took melatonin. Nothing worked, his body was tired, but his mind was alert.

Why was he awake? His first day of his senior year is today, and he's never been more nervous. His past years in high school were times he wish he could forget. All of the teasing, the bullying, the blackmail. God, he was so sick of it. He usually didn't dread going to school, he excelled greatly in every subject, but ever since his only friend had moved away, he had no one to stick up for him, to protect him. Namjoon was alone, and everyone took advantage of it.

Namjoon sighs loudly as he places his glasses back on his nightstand and tossed and turned in his bed. He threw his blanket off because he got too hot, to immediately regret it and struggle to straighten the cloth back out.

"I'm never going to be able to sleep..." Namjoon admits to hisself and he sits up on his bed, "I might as well get dressed, I guess. There's nothing better I can do."

He gets up and shuffles to his closet. He flips the switch to turn on his closet's light and he's greeted by all of his favorite graphic shirts and his blue jeans. He shifts them all aside and pulls out his presses white shirt and navy suit jacket with the gold buttons. Namjoon lays them across his bed and goes to retrieve his khaki pants from his dresser.

"Where did I put my tie..?" Namjoon furrows his brow as he looks on his closet's doorknob where he usually puts it. The bare silver knob stares back at him and Namjoon slightly panics, "Maybe I just left it in the living room again."

Taking brisk strides with his long legs, Namjoon swiftly navigates through the dark halls of his house, careful not to wake his parents. He flips the light the furthest away from the hall on and diligently searches for his necktie.

As suspected, he left it lying on his chair and relaxed his tender shoulders.

"I need to take better care of my things." Namjoon fiddles with the accessory as he walks back into his room, he's so focused on his tie that he rams his left foot into the wall while taking a sharp turn. He immediately clenches his teeth and eyes shut and holds his breath, he reassesses his life decisions and limps back to his bedroom.

"This is going so well already." With a huff, Namjoon strips of his night wear and replaces it with his uniform. His long fingers fiddle with his buttons as he tries to quickly fasten them, he had to tie his tie five times before he finally got the knot he desired, even with all of the trials and errors, Namjoon still had over two hours before he was even supposed to be awake.

Picking up his glasses and pushing them back as far as they would go, Namjoon stares at his clock and waits as time passes by slowly.

~*~

Not being able to sleep was the worst thing that could've happened, and Namjoon wish he had tried harder to sleep. Dark circles were beginning to form from constant lack of sleep, his eyes were heavy, and he moved sluggishly. All of the other students were bright and bustling as they greeted friends they haven't seen all summer or they show off their organized lockers that'll look like trash heaps later on in the year.

Namjoon just kept his head tilted downwards as he quickly walks to his assigned locker. The dull grey numbers 1343 look down on him as he reaches up to push in the black latch. His locker door opens with a screech and Namjoon is greeted by his textbooks and binders full of unused paper. He lazily stares at them for a long while and his ears perk up when he hears a fit of giggles.