Chapter 39

I AM SO MAD! I CAME TO UPDATE THIS AND WHEN I DID I ACCIDENTALLY CLOSED OUT THIS PAGE AND IT DIDN'T SAVE! I HAD TO REWRITE THIS CHAPTER FIFTEEN TIMES, TWICE TODAY! Now it's not nearly as good as it just was... *Crying deep down inside* I need help!

New story: The Demon's Shadow. Yes, it a Naruto fanfiction.

Instagram: realnarutofanninja2

Ino and Sakura stood in front of each other, panting heavily. Scratches and bruises on each one.

"You know what... If cutting your hair makes you strong... I'll do it too!" Ino took a kunai, and held back her ponytail, cutting it near the band. Blond hair flew everywhere, scattering across the arena.

Others in the participant overlook box just snickered, making fun of the two while other complained about having to fight where there was hair.

Sasuke glared at the group, before punching them all in the face. Not hard enough to break anything, however, he didn't want to become disqualified. "A true ninja doesn't whine over hair, you ungrateful brats." Sasuke's eyes flashed purple-red and they began to back off, shuffling to the other end of the overview.

Ino had used her mind transfer justu and slumped over. Ino had done a fist bump with the hair, signaling victory before an obnoxious scream followed.

Naruto and Sasuke covered their ears, knowing how loud Sakura could scream. They watched sympathetically as one of the other opponents dropped to the ground clasping their hands tightly over their bleeding ears. She was a banshee, always would be. At least she matured a little. 

Releasing her grip on Sakura, the went back in her own body, and panted, watch Sakura fall to the ground. "How does she have two..." she trailed off falling to the ground herself, unable to do anything more. 

Genma sighed and looked at them both. "Due to both participants being unable to fight anymore, they are both disqualified from the chunin exams."  He looked up at the board and called out the next two names. 

"What a drag..."

Shikamaru watched as the Suna ninja opened her fan and floated down into the middle of the arena. He rolled his eyes and began to walk down, leisurely. 

It took a total of five minutes before Shikamaru reached the arena ground. Five freakin' minutes. 

The sand Kunoichi did not seem to be taking his slow pace well. It seemed that she'd been restraining herself from going to him, and slapping him hard across the face, leaving a five-star handprint.

Waiting impatiently, Temari waited until they could begin the battle to give that lazy-bum of a ninja a piece of her mind. When Genma said to begin, that was all she needed. 

Gusts of wind blew harshly in Shikamaru's direction. To evade them, he did a few backflips and cartwheels to the side, making his way towards an area with heavy scrub. Quickly climbing into the tree's near the top, he squatted down and folded his hands almost in a heart shape. 

Temari scowled in annoyance, debating what she'd do for her next move as she waited for the coward. 

Asuma

"Why's he hiding? Is he scared?"

Asuma glanced at Kurenai and almost laughed at his girlfriend's question. "No... He's not hiding..." Asuma scanned the trees searching for his pupil. When he did find him, he was just barely visible in the leaves. He examined what position he was in.

"Asuma," Kakashi started, "Isn't that his thinking position? I recognize it from training with your team..." Kakashi stuffed his hands in his pocket, before taking a seat.

"Nice of you to join us, my rival!" Gai practically screamed in Asuma's ear, making him cringe. 

"Yeah, it is Kakashi. That means he must have a plan... Or at least is formulating one..." Asuma stroked his chin. 

Gai jumped up in excitement. "He's finally doing something! Oh, the power of youth!" 

"Sitting to think isn't a good strategy for battle," Kurenai noted. "Better to think on your feet, and ahead of time."

Asuma hummed. "True, but with an IQ of over two-hundred, I'm sure he'll be fine." The three other jonin stared at him, eyes bulging out of their skulls. Asuma quirked his head. "What? Did I forget to mention that?"

Shikamaru

Three more minutes. Three more minutes until the sun completely moved five degrees. The sun always seems to move. As the earth rotated around it, the sun made a "path." Fifteen degrees per hour, five every twenty minutes. This was perfect. Taking off his clan jacket, he attached a kunai, making a small parachute. This would be very useful. Launching it off into the wind, he looked down at Temari.

Jumping down from his hiding spot, Shikamaru examined the shadows as he walked towards the sand girl, but staying in the shade. They looked over the arena field like mountains reigning over the valleys down below. 

Hands swiftly running through the motions of hand signs, he launched his secret justu. Launching it towards Temari, she backed up using a series of cartwheels, backflips, summersaults, before landing on the tip of her feet, sliding backward, fan in the ground to slow herself down. The shadow didn't reach. 

Shikamaru ground his teeth in an irritable act and smirked ever so slightly. He looked up at his parachute and grinned mentally, not allowing his plan to be caught. Temari marked how far the shadow went as it retreated. She lifted her fan to strike him. She was in the best placement ever. Temari was frozen. "Hu-What! How!" 

Shikamaru just sighed. "Checkmate," he responded as he turned his head backward, allowing the kunoichi to see. The round walls of the arena provided just enough shadow for him to reach her. Well, with the help of his little two pieced mechanism. 

"You!"Temari started to spit out curses and colorful language, ever so politely.

Shikamaru looked at the moving shadow of his parachute. It wouldn't be of use any second. He raised his hand ever so steadily, Temari's eyes widening, and heart quickening. He was forcing her to forfeit. Or, that's what she thought. 

The connection broke, and Temari immediately returned to try and gush hurdles of wind blades that'd slice that man into a thousand shreds. "I forfeit."

Temari halted suddenly, eyes even wider. "What! Why!"'

Shikamaru just stared at her and yawns casually. "You're too troublesome. This is in general, is a drag," he paused for a second and began again. "Even so, even if a contestant forfeits, or loses, they may still win the rank of chunin if superiors deem them worthy enough, or if they have enough votes... Meaning there can be more than one chunin appointed in the exam."

Temari lowered her fan but still kept it open. She could have been expelled from the exam if she'd hurt him! 

"Isn't that right, lord kages?" Shikamaru finished, looking at the yondaime kazekage and hokage. The sandaime was stared at last. 

Genma sighed and face-palmed himself at the lazy-bums antics. "Due to Nara Shikamaru forfeiting, Subaku no Temari wins this match!"

There were a few claps, but not many. Everyone knew who the real victory belonged to.