Chapter 42

Kankuro stared over the railing; the invasion wasn't supposed to happen until the finals, and Gaara was supposed to win, but in the end, Gaara was eliminated. He glanced up to the Kazekage his father, who he was tapping his fingers on the desk of the chair. It was up to Temari now to start the invasion.

Shino

Genma stepped up to the place he'd usually been standing, staring up at the crowd. "Let the second stage of the Chunin Exams Begin! Shino and Fu, please come to the arena!"

Shino bit his lip. He hadn't been in the first round because his opponent didn't arrive due to being killed on a mission. It was both a disadvantage and an advantage at the same time. One the advantage side, he wasn't worn out from previous fights and got to study each of his possible opponent's fight. On the downside; he wasn't warmed up, and his current opponent seemed to be an insect user too. 

Fu

'Go get 'em, Fu!' Yoro shouted inside her head. A mental image of him staring at her- trying to stay stoic instead of a face saying he was proud of her. 

Fu stared at her opponent next to her, as they walked down, promptly ignoring her teammate. He seemed rather worried. "Do you're best!"

"Huh?" Shino looked up at her. "Oh... Thank you!" He didn't smile, but Fu could tell he was grateful for the encouragement. A warm fuzzy feeling bubbled in her stomach, but pushed it down and smiled. 

'Hey, Fu, no fraternizing with the enemy! We can hear you speak. Did you forget that?' Fu rolled her eyes and scratched an itch on her arm. 

'Kegon, he is not the enemy. He is simply a challenger for the test.' She glared daggers at him, suddenly feeling defensive. 

'Exactly, he is the enemy,' Kegon replied simply, staring down at Fu and Shino as they entered the clearing of the arena. 

'Hey, Yoro, Kegon, is a telepathic link during this illegal? It's supposed to be a one versus one battle...' She slightly fidgeted as she stood before Genma. 

'Nah,' replied Yoro. 'We're just helping you, but you're the one doing the actual fighting. People use telepathic links during battles and war all the time.' 

'Okay! I want friends, don't forget that!' She shifted into her battle stance once again. She was the last to fight, and now she was the first.

"Begin!" Genma backed away from the battle. 

Shino and Fu just stood there in battle positions waiting for the first to make a move. 'Be careful, he uses insects,' indicated Yoro. 

'I don't want to hurt him!' Fu whined in her head.

'Too bad, now go that chunin medal!' Kegon sighed in frustration. 

Chomei, can you control his insects for me when he starts using them? I don't want to hurt him so I'm gonna do this the easiest and most gentle way possible. 

Shino and Fu still didn't move a muscle, the audience leaning forward in their chairs. High anticipation was in the air, tension so thick you could cut with a knife. Or was it supposed to be fog so thick one could cut with a knife? Fu didn't know. 

Shino, realizing she'd gotten lost deep in her thoughts, dashed forward with a kunai, knowing if he used his insects he'd be screwed over. 

'Fu!' Yoro screamed in her head. Fu jumped and glanced at Shino only to see a kunai swipe across her cheek. Fu winced, and jumped up, using her wings to fly above him. 

"I'm sorry... I don't want to hurt you but..." Fu beat her wings at full speed and began throwing shuriken and kunai around him as fast possible, trying to hit him. A few had caught on his jacket, but nothing other than that. Shino had been far more athletic than she'd been lead to believe. Dodging with squats, backbends, jumping over them... Must've been difficult with his long jacket getting in the way.

Chomei, Hymenoptera, please.

No answer.

Chomei? Where are you?

"Sorry! I was drinking nectar! Gosh, I love this landscape," Chomei finally chimed in cheerily.

Shino began barricading her with kunai right back at her. Explosions blasted her onto the ground, her wing slightly damaged. She bit her lip. The wings were a justu, and she didn't have the time, nor the chakra to spare in this battle to repair them. 

Chomei now!

Swarms of wasps, fuzzy bumblebees, yellow jackets, and more began to fly to Fu before resting above her. "Sorry... I don't want to hurt you... Can we please be friends after this...?" She pointed towards Shino, signaling them to attack him. 

Shino's eyes widened and he started sprinting away from them in circles and lines hoping to avoid them. Finally, he pulled on his insects and used them as a shield. In the end, however, his chakra was sapped from him, and he had at least fifty stings on him painfully swelling. "I give up..." 

Shino looked at Fu. "How... How can you control my insects?" 

Fu just smiled and suddenly he saw a huge six-winged, and one tail, insect behind her. It was probably just a genjustu or hallucination, but he knew what that was. The seven tailed jinchuriki. "So... Will you be my friend...?" Fu held out her hand. 

Shino nodded, and his lip curled ever so slightly. "Sure."

"The winner of the first match of the second round is Fu!"

A/N: I just had this random Idea. Does anyone wanna see a short crossover in this story between Fairy Tail and Naruto in this story for one of the story arches? Let me know! You guys have till the end of the chunin exam arch (probably 3-6 more chapters) to give me your answer!

 Does anyone wanna see a short crossover in this story between Fairy Tail and Naruto in this story for one of the story arches? Let me know! You guys have till the end of the chunin exam arch (probably 3-6 more chapters) to give me your answer!