Chapter 13

"The strongest hearts, have the most scars."- Jeff Hood

Alia

I stretched sitting up on my bed and glancing around the room only to see Noah slumped on a bean bag on the far end.

His head fell back his eyes shut and mouth only slightly open as he slept soundly with a photo album resting on his lap.
The album was something i usually kept hidden from everyone in the back of my walk in wardrobe under all the fancy dresses I'd only touched once when buying.

Yawning and stretching forward like a cat i flopped into the bed, my head buried in my arms.

I felt the bandage across my forehead and tried to recall what happened earlier but it only gave me more of a headache.

The door opened and Zack walked in a glass of water in one hand and capsules in the other. He looked in the direction Noah was sat and rolled his eyes before settling onto my bed and handing me the water.

Taking a sip and silently taking the pills from Zack i swallowed and looked down at him as he lay on my bed his head resting on his arm.

"Does it hurt?" He asked pointing at the plaster on my forehead.

I smiled as Noah stirred in his sleep, "only when i think about it." Sighing and settling myself back down onto the comfortable cushions.

Zack sighed propping himself up on his elbows and smirking. He took a quick glance at Noah then spoke, " i squeed his toothpaste into the sink and blocked the toilet with toilet roll." My own lips seemed to tug into a grin and shaking my head i threw the covers away from myself making sure they fell on Zacks face.

*

"Are you okay now?" Charlie asked as i came into the kitchen and settled myself onto a bar stool across him.

I hummed a response while he put down his phone and took a moment to stare at me.

His face had changed from the last time i saw him, it was now pale but somehow still bright and his eyes gleamed slightly and...

Oh my god why was i noticing so much.

I mentally facepalmed myself and averted my eyes onto the vase on the worktop that now held a bunch of bright yellow lilies.

Charlie followed my gaze and answered my unasked question, "your neighbour gave them. Something about a birthday and that they're sorry about Caleb leaving and if you need anything they'll be right next door." 

I nodded and before i could respond we were interrupted by the sharp ring tone of his phone. He looked down at the screen checking the caller and smiling so that his cheeks glowed.

"I'll be right back." He said leaving through the glass doors which lead to the outside patio.

Suddenly feeling lonely at his absence i shifted uncomfortably on the stool and briefly looked at him taking a seat on the outdoor chairs. I didn't want him to leave and his presence was so...

Come on!

I internally slapped myself and looked the other way quickly seeing the remains of the incident from last night still spread across the floor behind.

The glass shards seemed to be hurriedly picked up as some pieces were still there and the liquid that spilt with it settled across the kitchen tiles.

Taking the left over pieces and sweeping them with a dust pan and brush then tipping it into the bin.  I mopped up the rest of the floor and relaxed back into my seat.