Where You Left Your Heart

It had been seven years while Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah and Kol had taken in the dark magic of the Hollow to save Hope and Rae when they were just little girls, and now seven years later, Hope was 15, and Rae was basically the same age, if you wanted to be technical, but since Rae was an immortal psychic that grew as long as she had evil souls to feed on, she could be considered a lot differently.

Although, Klaus and I had gotten the chance to get married like he had promised we would, it was sad because while we had gotten married, Hope and Rae hadn't been able to be there in person because of what would happen if one of the siblings got too close to Hope and Rae with the dark magic inside of them, but we had figured a way around that for the time being.

Elijah was in complete Amnesia Land where he didn't remember anything about who he was or who any of us were.

While all that was going on, I was with Caroline and Alaric, helping them run the Salvatore Boarding House/School for the Young and Gifted, since it was in the boarding house that used to belong to me, Stefan, Damon and Rae, while Hayley was helping Freya, Vincent and Josh take care of things in New Orleans.

That was, until, I found out Hope had given some of her blood to a werewolf kid named Henry, and he had jumped from the school library, and he was temporarily dead, but would soon become a hybrid.

I walked into the room where Hope and Rae were roommates.

"Hey, Mom," Rae told me. "What's up?"

"Alaric wants to see you," I answered. "It's about Henry Benoit."

"Is, um, Mr. Saltzman calling my mom?" Hope asked.

"Oh, no, Ric left that mess to me, since you're my stepdaughter," I answered. Hope nodded awkwardly. Rae looked between us. "And we both think your dad should know what you've been up to."

"Yeah, good luck with finding stepdad," Rae told me.

I gave them both a look. "Hope, Rae, pack your bags. We're going home."

"Uh, Mom, technically this town and this house/school is our home," Rae told me with honest sarcasm.

I sighed, nodding sarcastically. "Rae definitely got the Salvatore smartass gene and got some sarcasm from the Mikaelsons, too."

Hope smiled.

**********

I was getting ready for us to leave Mystic Falls to head to New Orleans when I saw Hope and Rae sitting down the hall.

A student named Roman walked by. "Later. You going somewhere?"

"Home," Hope answered. "I, uh, I got suspended. Rae's mom, my stepmom, is taking us."

"Hope Marshall got suspended?" Roman asked. "Cool."

Roman walked away.

Henry joined Hope and Rae. "Sorry I got you in trouble."

"I said be discreet," Hope told him. "What part of jumping out of a tower is discreet?"

"I had to make sure it would work," Henry replied. "If I only hurt myself, then I would've just healed."

Rae scoffed. "Right. 'Cause no one's ever died peacefully from sleeping pills."

"I'm not a person things go right for," Henry told them. "You ever seen a werewolf with no pes who quotes E.E. Cummings? I can already tell I'm getting stronger. You know how good it will be not to have to take crap from anybody?"