When the Saints Go Marching In

Outside the boundary spell, Elijah, Rae and I were trying to get Klaus to put the white oak stake down.

"Nik, don't," I told him. "Put it down."

"Elijah, get Kaylin and Rae out of here," Klaus told him. "You shouldn't be here for this."

"Put it down and let's talk," Elijah told him.

"There's nothing left to say," Klaus told us. "It's time to end this chapter, get rid of the dark magic once and for all."

Hope walked closer. "Dad? What's going on here?"

Klaus looked at Elijah. "Get them out of here."

"Your death is not the answer," Elijah told him.

"Death?" Hope repeated. "What are you talking about?"

"They put it into Klaus," Rae answered. "He told us that they put it into something safe, and instead, he used your first transition to trick all of us."

"So what happens, you just kill yourself and the magic goes away?" Hope asked.

"And you didn't even ask any of us," I told him, hurt but knowing he was only trying to protect us.

"I don't need permission to save your lives," Klaus replied.

"Come back with us to New Orleans, Niklaus," Elijah told him. "We'll find another way."

"We all know that's not gonna happen," Klaus told us. "Hope... Kaylin... Rae... I'm sorry. I've made my decision."

"And I've made mine," Rae told him, easily using her psychic power to get into Klaus's head and make him fall unconscious.

Hope, Elijah, Rae and I looked at each other in shock, breathing heavily.

**********

We had taken Klaus back to New Orleans, where he was chained up in the dungeon. I knelt next to Klaus, checking the veins on his arms. Rebekah, Elijah and Kol were standing behind me.

"Just when I thought he was showing the vaguest signs of maturity, our brother makes a unilateral decision that leaves the rest of us stewing in his melodrama," Kol told us.

I gave him a look. "His death is not a melodrama."

"Well, he's spiraling," Elijah told us. "This energy feeds on anger, and Niklaus, as we know, has enough to set the world on fire."

"How many times are we going to play this game?" Kol asked. "Right, calamity and doom approaches our brother, and then all of a sudden, a trapdoor appears, and poof, he escapes. He's a cockroach that will outlive us all. And we're immortal."

"And what if it's different this time?" Rebekah asked. "What if he figures out a way to end it all?"

"I don't think he would notice or care that I wasn't there to witness it," Kol pointed out. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going home."

Kol left the dungeon.

"He'll be back," Rebekah told us.

"Will he?" I asked.

Rebekah left the dungeon to go after Kol.

**********

I walked upstairs to see Freya with Hope and Rae, who were trying to find a way to fix this.

"Your dad is strong, but that works against him here," Freya explained. "The energy will feed off of that strength. He'll quickly go mad, and it won't be long before he's unrecognizable and impossibly dangerous to all of us."