The Kindness of Strangers

In New Orleans, bodies couldn't be buried. Instead, in boxes above the ground, the dead clustered together, when a man passed on his family tomb was cracked open. Old bones were shoved aside to make room for fresh remains. Bloodlines rotted, entangled. The houses were that way, too. Layer upon layer of peeling paint, hiding little tragedies. Scorch marks from the fires. Waterlines on wallpaper. These were the tombs of the living, where we rotted alongside memories of our dead. Crowded with people we had failed and those who had failed us, we were forced to struggle with those we loved.

When there was a monsoon brewing in New Orleans thanks to Hope and Rae gathering up the bodies of the four siblings, Marcel and I had tried to stop them, but they threw our spirits into a chambre de chasse where the siblings were trapped as well, also with Freya.

"Marcel?" Rebekah asked. "Kaylin?"

"Damn it," I told them. "We got to go now."

"Hey," Klaus told us. "What game is Vincent playing?"

"Oh, this has nothing to do with Vincent," I answered. "We got to get out of here. The city is about to wash away. They're out of their damn minds."

"Who, Kaylin?" Klaus asked. "Who put you here?"

"It was Hope and Rae," I answered. "Rae and Hope are responsible for all of this. Ivy was telling Marcel, Vincent and me all about the latest prophecy when a hurricane showed up off the coast out of nowhere."

"A monsoon from the water is the final curse before the firstborns die," Freya explained.

"We went to go find you guys," Marcel went on. "Hope and Rae were at St. Anne's. She had Klaus and Elijah's bodies laid out on the floor. They're gathering up all of you to take back the power that's been split up inside of you."

Klaus was desperately worried. "They can't do that. It'll destroy them. That was the whole point."

"They threw us in here when we tried to stop her," I explained. "We can't leave until you guys find your keys."

"Well, they can't find my body," Rebekah told us. "It's halfway across the world."

"They have help," I explained. "Nik created hybrids with Hope's blood, they're sired to her. And Rae's a psychic that can make anyone do what she wants. They'll take the power back. They'll end the curses, they'll keep the firstborns safe, and then Nik's and my daughters as we know them will be forever lost to the darkness."

**********

I could hear Elijah and Klaus talking somewhere in the compound.

"What was my relationship like with your daughter?"

"The irony of you expressing interest in family..."

"Listen, I got nothing to go on here. You help me, we all get out of here."

"The day she was born, you gave her this. You gave her her name."

**********

I heard Marcel and Kol talking in the music room.

"You got something against literature?"

"Well, these are the collective works of William Shakespeare. Love, power, betrayal. How to thrive in Mikaelson clan 101. Davina and I sent these to Hope on her ninth birthday."

"How is Davina? You know, she doesn't call much these days."

"Well, that's how normal families work. You learn what you can, and then you grow up. Join a cult, start a rock band, find love, make your own family."