There in the Disappearing Light

Klaus was willingly letting Hope and Rae take out everything they were feeling on him, as Hope magically threw him into a table, making him fall.

Klaus stood. "Do it again. Harder this time. All of that pain, that simmering darkness. You need to purge it before it eats you alive. Hope is doing it well, Rae, but you're not giving in."

Rae was worried about what she could do. "Mom..."

"Give me your anger, Rae," Klaus told her.

Rae held her head in pain, psychically throwing Klaus against the wall, making him fall, where Klaus was now bleeding from the head. She could quiet the voices in her head and in Hope's now that they had gotten rid of some of the anger, able to mind control it down. "It's kinda working. But it's just gonna get bad again. Soon."

"You're holding back," I told them.

"You really think we want to feel this way?" Hope asked. "No matter how hard we try to get it out, we don't feel any better. You're not the ones we want to hurt."

I sighed, nodding. "Give me a name."

**********

Klaus had found Roman and brought him here, having him chained up in the dungeon. "Have you decided how you're going to kill him?"

"Slowly," Hope answered.

"Rae?" Roman asked. "Hope! Hey."

"I want to do this alone," Hope told us.

"What?" Hope asked.

"This is supposed to help us feel better, right?" Hope asked.

Roman looked from Hope and Rae to me and Klaus. "What's wrong with them?"

"They have an affliction, for which your pain is a momentary comfort," I answered.

"My pain?" Roman repeated.

"Mm-hmm," Rae answered. "But we don't want an audience."

"Rae," I told her.

"If you want to help us, go," Hope told us.

Klaus sighed. "Well, I was rather hoping to be part of the show."

I thought back to the days when I was literally called Queen of Torture back in the 20's. "Well, consider starting small, then. Fingernails, or the tongue. Build the suspense."

"Hey, hey, wait," Roman told us. "You're not actually gonna leave me with them, are you? Hey!"

Klaus and I left the dungeon.

**********

I could hear downstairs, Roman pleading with Hope and Rae. "I know you won't believe this, but I've been trying to apologize, okay?"

"You're right," Rae told him. "I don't believe it."

"I--I swear. My sister, she wanted me to leave the country, but I wouldn't go until I got to talk to you."

"Is this the kind of talk you had in mind?" Rae asked sarcastically.

"Look, I--I know. Taking part in Hayley's capture and tricking you, that was wrong and I know that."

"And yet you did it anyway!" Hope told him.

"No, you--you have to understand. For years I've been told to fear both of you, every day, every night, stories of what your father did to mine, what you and your kind have done to us."