The Tale of Two Girls

Klaus and I were watching over sleeping Hope and Rae, listening to Elijah and Marcel downstairs.

"It's been a long time since we've shared a drink together."

"You're gonna need it."

"I take it Davina didn't bring good news?"

"She and Freya have been holed up with spell books all week, searching for any last ideas to help Hope and Rae. They're out of options."

"I don't accept that."

"Look, I love those kids. It's because I love them that I am telling you. There is no miracle fix here. Now, they might've had a little more time, but Hope's about to experience her first full moon since she triggered her curse, and Rae hasn't had a wicked soul to feed on since she killed those vampires in the church, so she's getting sicker faster. Every witch that we consulted is sure that they won't survive the night."

"Then we speak with Freya. She will perform a binding spell on Hope. We can deliver wicked souls for Rae to feed on. That's the solution."

"A spell that powerful would only kill Hope faster, and Rae is too sick. This is terminal, Elijah. Now we can't keep this a secret from them any longer. They need to have the chance to say goodbye. And we both know the two people who need to tell them."

"Niklaus and Kaylin won't accept it."

"Make them. Hope and Rae are dying, Elijah."

**********

I walked downstairs into the courtyard toward Elijah.

Klaus followed me, concerned. "Kaylin."

"Get in the car," I told them. "We're taking Hope and Rae on a little trip."

"Are you out of your mind?" Elijah asked.

"They can sleep on the drive," I told them.

"Surely you heard Marcel," Elijah told us.

"He doesn't know anything," Klaus told him.

"Where are we going?" Elijah asked.

"My hometown," I answered. "My home. Salvatore boarding school for Hope and Rae and kids like them. They know how to deal with a werewolf's first transformation. They have a facility."

"Mystic Falls?" Elijah asked. "I take it you have a plan?"

"I do," Klaus answered. "And I need Kaylin to look after Hope and Rae, to make sure they don't exert themselves, while you help me."

"We have the crest of the full moon to save their lives," I told them. "We've defied the inevitable for a dozen lifetimes. I am not about to surrender it now."

"Please, Elijah," Klaus told him. "You're the only one we trust."

**********

While Klaus was talking to Caroline about getting Josie and Lizzie's help to siphon the magic out of Hope and Rae, I was with them in one of the rooms of the school.

Hope was looking at a diary encased in glass. "The diary of Stefan Salvatore. That's your brother, right, Kaylin? Rae's uncle?"

"Yeah," I answered. "Yeah, before he died."

"We're not supposed to touch it, but I practically have the whole thing memorized," Rae explained. "You know, since I never got to know him."

"Well, he loved you as a baby, Rae," I told her. "He really did."