One Wrong Turn On Bourbon

Klaus and I had returned to New Orleans, meeting up with Freya.

"Sister," Klaus told her. "The years have been kind to you."

Freya smiled, embracing Klaus. "Well, you know, just sun block, the love of a good woman, and literal witchcraft. You can't stay. Hope and Rae are home."

"I have no interest in infecting our daughters with this darkness," Klaus assured. "Once we've found Hayley, I'll crawl back to whence I came."

"And hopefully you'll be more open to talking to them," I told him.

Klaus gave me a halfhearted look. "Kaylin." I smirked sarcastically. Klaus couldn't help but chuckle. "This city reeks of blood like it hasn't since the War of 1812."

"Yeah, well, you're to blame this time, Nik," I told him. "I know you spoke to Elijah, and then hours later, it rained blood."

"No story that begins with water turning into blood has ever ended in triumph," Freya pointed out.

"I need to leave or things are gonna get worse," Klaus told us. "Freya, tell us about Hayley."

Freya sighed worriedly. "Tried every locator spell I know in every language I know, and I don't..."

Klaus and I heard Hope and Rae coming down. Klaus, knowing that he had to leave, rushed out of the compound before they entered the room.

"Dad?" Hope asked.

Seeing that Klaus was no longer here, Hope looked at us in disappointment and sadness. Rae sighed sadly, looking down.

**********

While Klaus was looking for another lead, I went to Rousseau's, standing outside, texting Marcel to meet me in the alley.

Marcel rushed outside to join me. "Kaylin. Didn't know you wanted to be part of the vampire community in New Orleans."

"Oh, I don't," I answered. "But... crashing a funeral, my favorite way to spend a Friday night. Marcel, it's good to see you, after all this time. Sorry about Rebekah."

"I'm sure you are," Marcel told me. "It's good to see you, too. Why are you here?"

"Hayley's missing," I answered. "It's been days. Klaus is in town, helping look for her." Marcel gave me a look. I smirked in amusement, innocently. "Don't worry, he'll stick to the shadows. But there's certain leads we can't follow, because Nik has to stick to the shadows, and I don't know the people in this city like you do."

Marcel nodded in understanding, worried about Hayley. "What do you need from me?"

I sighed in relief, managing a small smile.

**********

Hope and Rae had called me to Rousseau's kitchen because Klaus had apparently tried to attack Hayley's boyfriend Declan.

I compelled Declan. "Looks like you need to go back to the butcher's immediately. You won't remember meeting Klaus today."

Declan nodded once the compulsion took hold. "Ah, hey, Kaylin." I smirked sarcastically. Declan nodded to Hope and Rae. "Morning, kids. Um, I'll be back. I forget to stop by the Shank. But saved you three a bread pudding in the fridge."

Declan left the restaurant.

I sighed, turning to Klaus. "What the hell were you thinking?"

"Listening to the voices in my head hasn't ever done me any favors," Klaus replied.