God's Gonna Trouble the Water

Rae and I had taken Hope back to their room in the boarding school, where she laid in her room on her bed.

Hope woke up, gasping. "Kaylin?"

I sighed, sitting next to her worriedly. "Hope."

"Rae?" Hope asked.

"We're here," Rae answered.

"What happened?" Hope asked. "Where is she?"

"Breathe," I told her. "You're safe now."

"Where is my mom?" Hope asked. We couldn't answer at first, both of us devastated, knowing that Hope was going to be even more devastated. "What?"

"She's gone," Rae answered.

Hope's first reaction was denial, before she accepted the truth, and she started to break down into tears and devastation as we held her while she cried. "No, no. No, no, No, no. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no... No. No... No..."

**********

Outside, I was on the phone with Klaus, both of us devastated. "Nik, you and I are no strangers to heartbreak, and yet, each loss hits more deeply than the one before."

"Indeed it does. Kaylin, I don't know how to deal with this loss. Or help Rae and Hope deal with it either."

"I don't know either. I got so much closer to Hayley than I ever thought I could. We helped raise Hope and Rae together, while you were trapped with Marcel, or if you were away because of the Hollow."

"I know this death hits you as much as it does us, Kaylin. You two raised two beautiful and strong girls on your own with the help of each other. I can't imagine how it could have been like for you."

"Mom partner in crime." We both managed the smallest of chuckles though we were both still devastated. "What do you need from me?"

**********

I was still on the phone with Nik.

"The plane will be there to pick you up in half an hour."

"We'll be ready."

"Did you find a witch to help with our geographical predicament? I cannot miss the second line."

"Freya asked Ivy to do it."

"Ivy hates me."

"Well, all the witches hate you, but they liked Hayley, and they know that Hope and Rae need you today."

"Well, astral projection is tricky magic. This had better work."

"It'll work. You'll be there in the only way that you can."

"I should never have agreed to this. I should be there beside you three, holding your hands."

"I know. But the consequences of you being with Hope and Rae have been escalating, the point where Rae can't just mind control the darkness to behave from the inside of your head. We can't bring that kind of danger into the city."

"This is Hope's mother's funeral. I should let the city burn. I'm sick and tired..."

"What's wrong?"

"If this houseplant gasping for life is any indication, there's another Mikaelson in New Orleans."

"That can't be right. Kol and Rebekah know to stay away, and Hope and Rae are with me."