8. Old House, Old People

unedited

One and half months later, the capital city comes into their sight. Everyone finally relaxes their muscles. After the Death Valley incident, Alder had changed the route and it takes them an extra half month to reach here. Alder is a merchant, dealing with multiple businesses and had numerous connections around every corner of the empire. It was not very difficult for him to make his own arrangements in the little time.

However, it was a good thing that Siya had already prepared sufficient medicines for everyone; plus, her secret spiritual water is a lifelong stock. So, it did not take much time for everyone to get back their spirit.

"Siya, we are going to enter the capital soon," Finn pulls the curtain of Siya's carriage and gets in. Seeing Siya busied herself in a book, a sign escapes from his mouth, "How long you will read that book? You should enjoy the weather outside, it is so different from the scorching heat of the border town, but here you had buried your head in this book." Her sister is getting more and more sensible but his heart is filled with a sharp pain as if needles are stabbing at it. He always hopes his younger sister stays the same innocent and naive as before. She is only fourteen years old, she should be pampered and live her life recklessly without any care. After all, he and his father are still standing behind her to support and protect her. But now he feels his little sister who used to hide behind his back is grown up.

Siya closes the book and looks at her elder brother who has a deep frown on his face. She cannot help but laugh. His brother hates books. It is expected the merchants are unruly and repulsive from any literary work. That's why it is very rare to have any civil officer from a merchant background. When her uncle, Kith, successfully passed the imperial examination, it was an unbelievable sight but no one knows the underhand means that he used to get that position. She too got to know about it later from Ryder.

She places the book on the small table attached to the wall of the carriage. "Have you received any news from Taren?"

"Ah," Finn lightly scratches the back of his neck. He feels ashamed in front of his little sister. He has been learning the tricks of business from his father for a long time but still, he cannot compare himself to Siya. Her eyesight and her way to do business have left him speechless. "The shops are doing very well. We are also receiving many customers from other cities as well. Taren had already arranged everything required before setting to the capital."

Siya nods. "Ask the management in the border city not to hurry in the work. Things that are hard to get have great worth in people's minds."

"Alright. What is your plan in the capital?"

"There is nothing for the time begins," Siya speaks slowly and pours tea in a teacup for him. She never tell him that she had already set up her own power here. "Everyone is already tired of the journey. Let us ease our mind first." 

Δ◊Δ

"Grandmother is strict but kind at heart. When you meet, do not be naughty and she will surely like you. Your aunt is amiable while her children are of your age. You will not feel bored but remember not to be too wilful," Cyra's voice plays in Siya's mind as they enter the city gate.

Siya too thought the same before but it is hard to guess the human heart.

She mildly smiles when the carriage slowly crosses the streets. Ginni loves lively, so she flips the curtain of the window to enjoy the scenery of the long and generous street. Siya takes a look outside from the gap. Compared to the hot weather at the border cities, the capital is bathing in the cold and soothing autumn breeze. The streets of the capital are full of hustle and bustle, vendors sell all kinds of seasonal items and people are filled in the entire area like a swarm of bees. The shops in the street mostly have historical books, antique paintings and calligraphy sets on the display. The scholars of the capital often visit this place. The scene reminds her of the past. It was like this when she came here in her last life. Same enthusiasm, same vigor and same people but she has changed now. Unlike last time, her return here does not ripple any extra feeling in her heart. Her eyes are devoid of any emotion like a millennium-old frozen lake. Her aura of chillness nearly scared Ginni.